Re: Very nice Rich Dark Spced Rum

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2010
      Bonjour Geoff,

      I've used that trick in my rums to add color and more flavors - works
      great. One little hint. Instead of powdered cinnamon, try using a
      cinnamon stick they put in drinks like hot ciders. Much easier, just
      let it mascerate for a day or so. Just dont use a narrow necked bottle
      since they do expand and are a bitch to get out.

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
      <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      >
      > I just made me up a one litre bottle of this "Rum" flavoured recipe
      using Robbe Mac's essence recipe. That he posted on forum on the 4th of
      July, as he says in his original post, "a friend of mine makes it and
      it's just the dog's bollocks for a lazy afternoon." and I do have to say
      I do agree with him. I think it's the black treakle that does it. Here
      it is again:-
      > .
      > Rich Dark Spiced Rum
      >
      > Start with
      >
      > 3 Tbs dark Mollasses (black treacle)
      > 1 Tbs of Vanilla Extract store bought
      > 2 Tbs Cinnamon extract * home made
      > (put cinnamon in any form in a coffee filter)
      > (and soak it in some of your brew.)
      > (Store some, it will make too much to use it all)
      >

      > Put all ingredients in a beaker and it top off to
      > 1 Litre of 100 or (50%abv) proof twice filtered pure cane sugar wash.
      >
      > I will be trying it with a vanilla bean next instead of extract.
      > The vanilla bean is also good when making Kahlua
      >
      > Mix well!
      >
      > Add 2 oz Jack Daniels Oak Barrel Chips.
      > (available near the grill charcoal in most stores)
      >
      > Strain out chips after 48 hours.
      >
      > PS
      > I personally pre-make some very concentrated and filtered/decanted
      Cinnamon liquid in advance, save friggin' about with powdered Cinnamon.
      > I put and mix 3 Tbs. Cinnamon powder into 200ml of my own 45% abv home
      brew and micro-wave until its just too hot to put your finger in for
      more than a couple of seconds give it a good stir and then I cover and
      leave it a couple of days and decant the clear concentrated flavoured
      cinnamon hooch off the remaining Cinnamon sediment. (add the Cinnamon
      extract as per the recipe above. It saves time messing about with
      powered Cinnamon. Which if you don't have patience and do right you end
      up with Cinnamon sediment in the bottom of your essence flavoured bottle
      of "Rum".