Burco Boiler

  • geoff burrows
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hi goetz,
           When I first started out a Burco boiler was my first choice but I had the chance of a free milk churn.  It was the cheapest option, my logic was ya can't get cheaper than free,and went with that instead.
       But as I said I thought a 5 gallon Burco was a good choice because it was reasonably stable you had the choice of on the older type gas Burco (army style tea urn) or an electric element Burco.
            All that was needed on the electric was if you were above 240 volt x 1000 watt element all you did was to by-pass the fitted on/off thermostat and fit a controllable thermostat.  Or another alternative is to fit another element a 240 volt x 750 watt or 250 volt x 850 watt (electric camping kettle element).  Use both to heat up, then knock off the big element and use the 850 watt to do the run with.  From memory the lid had two catches on a catch system that worked like this, the tighter you turned it the more secure it became so weld the column to that and  I think you should have a bloody good boiler.
       Although I never actually did use the Burco if I had the chance to get a cheap one I would certainly without hesitation use it as a boiler.
      Geoff
    • mrkb100
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
        Hi Goetz its funny how you should ask this question today because today I have just received a burco boiler I bought second-hand from the bay of fleas that I intend to use as my boiler and fingers crossed it will be ok and serve its purpose but first I will have to de scale it before I can do anything with it.