Tequila

  • craig
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
      How is a good Tequila made
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010

        Hi Craig,

        Good Tequila is made strictly from the Blue Agave and can only be called Tequila if its produced only in the state of Jalisco and limited regions in the states of Guanajuato, Michoacán, Nayarit, and Tamaulipas.[2] according to Mexican Law.   Mexico has claimed the exclusive international right to the word "tequila", threatening legal actions against manufacturers in other countries.

        There is something about the volcanic red soil of the region around the town of Tequila that makes for great growing conditions for the blue agave plant. which has a very high percentage of fructose sugars and insulin in its nectar.  There is a good description of blue agave at http://www.globalgoods.com/manufacturingagavenectar.html and a nice picture view of Tequila production at : new_distillers@yahoohttp://www.republictequila.com/process.php

        If you want to try and make it yourself, about the only places I have seen blue agave nectar is in Health Food stores for sweeteners or you can order it online.

        JB.

        The agaves are cut free from their root base and the sword like leaves are removed from the central stem. It is at this point that the agaves take on a new descriptive name of piña (because they look like big pineapples).

        Organic agave nectar is a natural product that can sweeten any type of beverage or food. It is derived from the carbohydrates present in the agave plant through a totally natural heating process with no chemicals involved. To produce organic agave nectar, juice is expressed from the core of the agave (the piña). The juice is then filtered to create agave nectar or syrup. The agave nectar has the natural solids removed through a fine filtration process.

        The agave nectar is then heated (less than 118 degrees), causing thermal hydrolysis which breaks down the carbohydrates into sugars. The main carbohydrate is a complex form of fructose called inulin or fructosan. The filtered juice is concentrated to a syrup-like liquid a little thinner than honey 76 Brix.

        Fructose is a simple sugar found mainly in fruits and vegetables. Due to the predominance of fructose 50% in our agave nectar, our organic agave nectar is much sweeter than sucrose. Thus, a smaller amount yields the same sweetness but fewer calories than sucrose. This gives agave nectar advantages in both the food industry and the health of the consumer.

        Agave is naturally fortified with Inulin. Inulins are a group of naturally occurring oligosaccharides (several simple sugars linked together) produced by many types of plants. They belong to a class of carbohydrates known as fructans. Inulin is used by some plants as a means of storing energy and is typically found in roots or rhizomes. Most plants which synthesize and store inulin do not store other materials such as starch.

        Inulin is used increasingly in foods, because it has excellent nutritional and functional characteristics. This is particularly advantageous because inulin contains one-third to one-fourth the food energy of sugar or other carbohydrates and one-sixth to one-ninth the food energy of fat. It also increases calcium absorption and possibly magnesium absorption, while promoting probiotic bacteria. Nutritionally, it is considered a form of soluble fiber. Inulin has a minimal impact on blood sugar, making it generally considered suitable for diabetics and potentially helpful in managing blood sugar-related illnesses.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2010
           Craig,

          Sorry the pictorial tour of tequila production link is
           http://www.republictequila.com/process.php

          JB.

        • last2blast
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 19, 2014
            I thought this was interesting, so I enclosed this link on how tequila is made in Mexico.

            Salud! Make the Perfect Tequila in Six Easy Steps