Re: 50 Litre beer keg
> I have to ask if any of those products really willShould work, just follow their directions for amounts (more is NOT better) and temperatures and let it soak, but remember, these chems are a 2 part system, they work in tandem. If it's really horribly carbonized, you may have to get in there with some elbow grease after the chems have got most of it off. In that case, I would switch to Bar Keepers Friend, it's an abrasive powder (oxalic acid). Make a slurry and work it in with a plastic netted kitchen sponge that's used on teflon--do NOT use a 3M pad, it will scratch the SS and give a "tooth" for crud to latch onto, making future cleanings that much harder.
> remove seriously burnt-on organic material. I ask because my keg is also
> my still boiler for containing all kinds of pot-stilly solid junk, as
> well as being used for brewing and mashing (workable because the
> top/cover/seal/still head just sorta "snaps" right off, leaving an
> almost 8" access port).
Now, and this is important: the oxalic acid is going to remove the passivation layer,so when you've got it all nicely cleaned, rinse with plenty of water and allow it to air dry.After a few days, the passivation layer will renew itself, but if you have the acid (nitric/phos.) blend just put 1/2-oz in the keg andspread it around with a rag or paper towel--that will repassivate it immediately.
Moral of the story: keep it clean all the time and don't allow soils to accumulate...