air-condensed still pot

  • Rainero Morgia
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2010
      browsed  at  ebay  lately  and  saw an  air-cooled  condensing  still pot for  sale...  does not need water but a small fan ...  just wondering if  the  cooled  air  is  enough to  condense  the  heat  of  evaporation?  ..has  anyone  used  this  type  of  still...thanks
      rainer

    • ben marks
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
        .yes i have and it works great for making "small" batches  it is a great one to start out on  after about 1.5 years i got a bigger one at 7.5 gal but still use the small one for sprit runs.

        ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
        Some people are like slinkies- not good for anything, But it sure is fun to push them down the stairs

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: raineromorgia@...
        Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 23:22:22 -0700
        Subject: [new_distillers] air-condensed still pot

        browsed  at  ebay  lately  and  saw an  air-cooled  condensing  still pot for  sale...  does not need water but a small fan ...  just wondering if  the  cooled  air  is  enough to  condense  the  heat  of  evaporation?  ..has  anyone  used  this  type  of  still...thanks
        rainer

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
          Yes, it works. You can build your own using finned or non finned tube. Adding a fan to blow the air through improves the cooling efficiency.

          Slainte, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rainero Morgia <raineromorgia@...> wrote:

          > browsed  at  ebay  lately  and  saw an  air-cooled  condensing  still pot for  sale...  does not need water but a small fan ...  just wondering if  the  cooled  air  is  enough to  condense  the  heat  of  evaporation?  ..has  anyone  used  this  type  of  still...thanks
          > rainer

        • Carey Starzinger
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010

            Yes, I use one on a regular basis.  It is simply wonderful.  Not real fast but works

            great!!  I fill the tank with 21% sugar wash (fermented to completion), turn it on with a time for exactly 4:45 minutes and I have

            1 ¾ liters of 40% ABV (80 proof).  Here in the US that is 1 half gallon.  I add an essence and

            I am in business.  I do run it over the charcoal filter that comes with the unit.  Probably not what the

            Purists are after but for a old man it works simply and is very reproducible.

            Arizona Wash Runner