What % ABV

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2010
      Hi guys,
      I have a few questions i would like help with?

      I've started the "Vin de Noix" possible 12 litre???? recipe I posted a
      while back

      After 2 x 5 litre cartons of 12% ABV red wine, + 2 litre of my own 60%
      ABV neutral (for the good Green Walnut

      maceration), + 1 litre of water in the sugar syrup and the 2 Kg of sugar
      (about another 2 litre of volume). This

      will give me approximately 15 litre of "Vin de Noix" But now here are
      my questions:-

      What % ABV is that lot gonna be at?

      How much more 12% ABV red wine will I need to add to dilute it down to
      about 20% Abv? (I'm diluting with 12% ABV

      red wine not water)

      What will the total liquid volume be about-ish?

      How would I go about measuring the % ABV?

      Would I measure with alcohol meter before addition of sugar syrup or
      after. Me thinks before as the sugar would

      mess up the alcohol meter reading?

      Would this be a purely matimatical computation or alcohol reading or
      what?

      And if so how the hell would you go about the matimatical calculation?
      (It's that indicies mathimatics thing aint

      it)

      It's the diluting with the 12% abv red wine that's completely buggering
      me up, I could dilute with water (and get

      a pretty good lower ABV guestimation) but were's the fun in that you're
      diluting the Abv and flavour?

      Can anyone help me please (Yeah I know I'm beyond help I know I'm like
      most of you guys on here)?

      Geoff
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 28, 2010

        Hi guys,
        I have a few questions i would like help with?

        I've started the "Vin de Noix" possible 12 litre???? recipe I posted a
        while back

        After 2 x 5 litre cartons of 12% ABV red wine, + 2 litre of my own 60%
        ABV neutral (for the good Green Walnut

        maceration), + 1 litre of water in the sugar syrup and the 2 Kg of sugar
        (about another 2 litre of volume). This

        will give me approximately 15 litre of "Vin de Noix" But now here are
        my questions:-

        What % ABV is that lot gonna be at?

        First you need to figure the alcohol thus...

        10L @ 12% = 1.2L etoh

        2L @ 60% = 1.2L etoh

        Total etoh volume = 2.4L : That is 2.4L in 12L

        Adding sugar to alcoholic wines is known as "Dosing" (distinguished from 'Chaptalisation') (see here )

        Adding 2kg sugar will increase the overall volume, but not by 2 litres, as you might expect.
        It is an extremely complicated math equation (see here ) and is better found by empirical tests.
        I find that 500gm sugar dissolved in 250ml hot (90°C) water, make a volume of ~530ml.
        So 2kg dissolved should only add (530 - 250) x 4 =  1.120L

        Therefore total mixture volume = 10 (wine) + 2 (spirit) + 1.12 (sweet) = 13.12L

        Now figure the strength (abv)...

        Ethanol strength of mixture = 2.4 / 13.12 x 100 = 18.29 % abv

        How much more 12% ABV red wine will I need to add to dilute it down to
        about 20% Abv? (I'm diluting with 12% ABV red wine not water)

        None.  Rather, you'll need to add more 60% spirit to increase it to 20%

        This process is known as "Fortification", ala making "port".
        Calculations are easily done with the "Pearson Square" method...

        Pearson's Square

          The Pearson's Square can be use to calculate the volume of alcohol that needs to added to a solution (must/wine) to achieve the desired final alcoholic strength.

          AB
          \/
          /\
          CD

          Where -

          X = is the final desired alcohol concentration (20.0%v/v)

          A = alcohol concentration (%v/v) of the must/wine to be fortified (18.29 %v/v)

          C = the alcoholic strength/concentration of the fortifying spirit (60.0%v/v)

          D = the difference between X and A (20.0 - 18.29 = 1.71)

          B = the difference between C and X (60.0 - 20.0 = 40.0)

          18.2940.0
          \/
          20.0
          /\
          60.01.71

          Then the volume ratio of the fortifying spirit to must/wine = B/D = 40.0/1.71 = 23.39 = 1/23.39
          i.e. for 13.12 L of must/wine add 13.12L x 1/23.39= 0.561L

          i.e. 561ml of 60%v/v fortifying spirit will need to be added to 13.12L of must/wine, (@ 18.29%v/v alc.), to finish with a fortified wine of 20%v/v alcohol.

          The final volume is approx. 13.12 + 0.561 = 13.681 litres
          Note: the final volume will not be exact due to shrinkage of volume caused by changes in alcoholic concentrations, however, these can be ignored.

        HTH