Re: DAP Question

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2010
      Fermaid K is great for sugar washes which have no nutrients and low
      nutrient containing fruit musts. However while a few teaspoons wont
      hurt, again grains usually have enough yeast nutrients in them.

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Becool Stayslinky"
      <becoolstayslinky@...> wrote:

      > Hi JB,
      >
      > Thanks for the reply. I will adjust my DAP usage accordingly on the
      next batch.

      > My first batch I made was a sugar wash using Dr. Cone's method 2, in
      the Compleat Distiller. It called for 1 gram/liter. Then I did the math
      from the Alcohol textbook, and ended up with 1.4 grams/liter for grain.
      In any case, I'm very glad to hear that I can get by with WAY less. The
      ferment always seemed to slow down after the third addition and I was
      suspecting it might be too much.

      > The part about the DAP poisoning the yeast came from an online brew
      supply store, something it said in their product description for DAP. I
      haven't seen that stated anywhere else.

      > Is there any need for Fermaid K or equivalent in grain washes? I have
      a pound of it, so can use it if it will help.

      > A side note, a good source for cellar chemicals is
      www.dwinesupplies.com , very fast and reasonable shipping if you are on
      the west coast.