Re: First Time Wash

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2010

      Hi Royce,

      On average, peaches contain approximately 8.39% sugar - see:  http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ and put in peaches.  if you used 4 lbs. of peaches per gallon, that would be a bit over 5 ounces of sugar plus your 2.5 lbs (2 lbs. 8 ounces) of sugar or a total of 2 lbs. 13 ounces per gallon.

      If you review the brix / sugar tables at: http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm  you can see that this will give you around a 16 to 17% potential ABV for your wash.

      Unfortunately this is a few percentage points over the recommend ABV levels for fermenting with baker's yeast.  If you had added the sugars in steps, it might have worked, but as it stands now, you will probably end up with a sweet peach wine.

      What I would do is add another gallon of water to your fermentation to bring it down to around the 13% ABV level (or around 2 lbs. 4 ounces per gallon).

      In the future, when making a peach fermentation for peach liquors, try to keep the inital ABV low to around 10%,  meaning dont add anymore then about 1 lb. 4 ounces of sugars if you using 4 lbs. of peaches per gallon.  This will give you much better flavors in your distillate.

      (Of course all this is hypothetical depending on how sweet your peaches are - and you might want to re-check my math lol)

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Royce Thigpen <8@...> wrote:

      > Folks, I was given 20 pounds of ripe peaches and decided to try my hand at
      > schnapps or brandy, depending on the recipe you look at.  The problem I had was
      > that I didn't have brewers yeast or the L-1118 that everyone talks about using.
      > I used 4 pounds of peaches per gallon of water, 2.5 pounds of sugar per gallon
      > of water and two packets of baker's yeast and added some yeast nutrients at a
      > rate of 1 tsp. per gallon of water.  Ended up with 5 gallons water total.
      > Question is, what should it turn out to be due to not having the correct yeast?
      > By the way, I had no way of saving the peaches until I could have ordered
      > ingredients.

    • Royce Thigpen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2010
        Will these stop the fermantation?  I have read that it might.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2010
          When you say these, i assume you mean adding the water. As it stands
          now, you have more sugar and osmotic pressure then bakers yeast can
          handle. Add 1/2 a gallon at a time if you think its a problem. You
          need to get the potential ABV down.

          JB.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Royce Thigpen <fireside58@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 14, 2010
            I added water as suggested and still had bubbles under the cap this morning.  I guess it is still working.  This whole hobby is harder that just reading.  You got to actually understand and that takes time and mistakes, of which I am learning!