pasteurization

  • raineromorgia
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2010
      is it possible to pasteurize wine so i dont have to use any sulfites..and how to..thanks
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2010
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "raineromorgia" <raineromorgia@...> wrote:

        > is it possible to pasteurize wine so i dont have to use any sulfites..and how to..thanks

        http://www.cheresources.com/winezz.shtml

        PASTEURIZATION

        If the wine has an alcohol content less than 14% it may be heat pasteurized or cold pasteurized through microporous filters just before bottling.

        Jim is a winemaker. He can tell you more when he signs in.

      • clearweather714
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2010
          Cold pasturization involves irradiation. I do not know how this would
          effect the wine flavor.

          Heat pasturization involves heating the wine to 160 F. At 80 F over an
          extended period of time (30 -60 days) the wine develops a burned flavor.
          The higher the temperature the more burned flavor. I would assume that
          the higher temperature would shorten time period to acquire those
          flavors. The flavor actually tastes like burned meat. It very quiuckly
          dominates any other flavor.

          ClearWeather

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 2010

            Hi Rainer,

            Frankly, wines are very rarely pasteurized usuing the "flash" pasteurization method where its heated quickly to 161F in a series of steam pipes, then quickly cooled down.  This not only will distroy the bacteria needed for aging and smoothing the wines, but also takes away some flavors.

            About the only wines that are pasteurized are Kosher or "Mevushal" (pronounced in English and Yiddish as "meh-VOO-shul," from Hebrew mevushal, meaning "cooked")  that religiously observant Jewish wine drinkers must drink.

            Despite modern technology, Israeli wine expert Daniel Rogov wrote, wines that have been pasteurized "lose many of their essential essences," are incapable of developing in the bottle and often impart a "cooked sensation."

            Personally, I perfer not to use sulfites either and let the wine develop naturally, which in some cases means it can go through a secondary malolactic fermentation.  This happened with my last batch of apple wine and was some of the best I ever made.

            You can try heating some of your wine up to 161F then cool it down in the freezer, but I wouldn't advise it.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2010

              Looks like its 2 - 0 against pasteurization Rainer.

              Again, dang nice to have a professional wine maker around when ya need one.:)

              JB.