mold

  • doninsb@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2010
      Have 2 5 gal buckets (4 gal in each) of barley, corn, some malt and a little sugar. My usual. Very hot lately, and the brew in my garage which is ready for distilling, both have thin layer of mold on top. What to do? safe to distill? never brewed in heat before, had to use heating pads. Bring it into house for summer.
    • Ric Cunningham
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2010
        If it is a white mold then rack from underneath and you will be fine. This is common and will not affect your ferment. Don't wait too long or you may get off flavors. Remember - no human pathogenic organisms can live in fermented beer (or wash) due to the alcohol content and PH. Good luck.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2010

          Don,

          While mold is fine to use in dunder for making rums, taste it first and make sure there is no vinegar taste to it.  If not, the either scoop the mold off or siphon if out from under as Rick mentions and distill it.  Dont know if you want to use any of the trub for a sour mash - might want to start from scratch.

          JB.

          User avatar