Re: rum essence recipe

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2010
      LOL Geoff,

      I understand where your comming from. Trying to get good cheap molasses
      here in the US is a bitch too. Only stuff I can find runs around 2
      bucks per 1/2 quart. But Ive found that by adding some with each sugar
      wash and then saving the dunder / backset and adding it back to each
      sucessive fermentation, you can get a very nice light rum after several
      generations. Its the same princible and practice as when we make our
      sour mash whiskeys.

      The Ornery One,

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <jeffrey.burrows@...>
      wrote:

      > Right Jim,
      >
      > (that bit of good info deserves a bit of suitable groveling) so.
      >
      > Oh Great Blinding Light of the Universe and Magnanimous Magnificent
      Ornery One. (May your giving hand never falter)

      > Right that's enough of that. The bleeding intention was making an
      essence not making the real Mc Coy, drinking it and calling it essence.
      Thinking about it, that does sound like a better option.

      > But in the pursuit of pure bone idleness, I'll give aforementioned
      recipe from macrobert a try. But thanks you for the French "mélasse
      noire" name I shall have that typed out and presenting it to mucho
      plenty stores in my area. Thanks again Jim