Re: rum essence recipe

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2010

      Geoff,

      Ive heard people can get it around - For those of you looking for molasses in France:
      - Organic molasses is available from the Naturalia chain
      where it is sold as mélasse noire.
      - Black treacle (the British name for molasses)
      can be found at Galéries Lafayette Gourmet.

      PS>  A few quarts of that in a sugar wash makes a dang good rum essence - especially when next batch is  re-fermented with the dunder and all :D:D.  I know

       the Ornery One lol....

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mac,
      >
      > Sounds good to me thanks. I live in France it doesn't mean I can speak the lingo though but HWMBO does and we get by one way or another but molasses written is the same in both languages as far as I know is the same and I've never seen any in the store but in E.Leclerc a big chain of stores here they have an "English Isle" were they sell UK branded goods at extortionate prices (not for us we buy what the locals buy and if you're unsure which is the good wine just look at which there is the least left on the shelf that's the best value and is usually pretty good stuff) and they have Lyle's Black Treacle and Lyle's Golden Syrup which can be seen at this link
      >
      > http://www.lylesgoldensyrup.com/LylesGoldenSyrup/LylesProducts/default.htm
      >

      > Now I think or US cousins call it "Fancy Molasses" and if it's molasses I'm gonna use that, (extortionate prices or not) maybe I think the black treacle might be a better bet as my wife's sister from Kilrush near the mouth of the Shannon Estuary would say what do "ye all think", it sounds not all that different from "ya-all" of the southern states and "I axed him/her" is normal speak for I asked him/her is a Sligo slang. But I'm veering off subject as per bloody usual. That recipe sounds as you say like the dog's boll**ks Mac I'll give it a go and report back to the group as to how it tastes. Thanks
      >
      > Geoff

    • geoff
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2010

        Right Jim,

        (that bit of good info deserves a bit of suitable groveling) so.

             Oh Great Blinding Light of the Universe and Magnanimous Magnificent Ornery One. (May your giving hand never falter)

             Right that’s enough of that.  The bleeding intention was making an essence not making the real Mc Coy, drinking it and calling it essence.  Thinking about it, that does sound like a better option.

             But in the pursuit of pure bone idleness, I’ll give aforementioned recipe from macrobert a try.  But thanks you for the French “mélasse noire”  name I shall have that typed out and presenting it to mucho plenty stores in my area. Thanks again Jim

        Geoff
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2010
          LOL Geoff,

          I understand where your comming from. Trying to get good cheap molasses
          here in the US is a bitch too. Only stuff I can find runs around 2
          bucks per 1/2 quart. But Ive found that by adding some with each sugar
          wash and then saving the dunder / backset and adding it back to each
          sucessive fermentation, you can get a very nice light rum after several
          generations. Its the same princible and practice as when we make our
          sour mash whiskeys.

          The Ornery One,