Re: Still comparison - Essencia or PDA-1

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010

      Steve,

      In addition to Wal's comments,  Here is what Ken Mc.  Has to say about it.  Really think the PDA-1 is the way to go.

      JB.

      Jim,

      I suppose you are comparing 2 very different types/styles and quality of stills the amphoria PDA 1 has been designed for ultimate purity and has column height combined with valued reflux and with power control gives total control. I have found that column height and control is the key to top quality and if you want a quality neutral then my pick would be the PDA1 and it has been sold to commercial Vodka manufacturers and they have a column extension available to boost purity.

      The essencia is a short column mass produced CM style of still designed for quick and easy simple distilling for the hobbyist that gives a high ABV product mainly designed for the flavouring of the finished product, but, without height high purity can not be achievedÂ…High ABV does not equate necessarily to high purity. The Essencia in my mind is better than the likes of the still spirits super reflux still.

      Both of these mass produced still have only single control to both the reflux and the secondary or product condenser.

      I liken this to me in the building trade and if you want a quality job you use the best gear and whilst the cheap battery drill is ok for the DIY project and is prone to failure and less than satisfactory performance. But the more costly trade quality tools will give a consistently better result.

      Ken Mc

      Moderator :  Y! new_distillers    Y! Distillers

      Forums Info:  FAQ    Policy    Settings

      > Looking at their site shows that it is a N.Z. manufactured still with a cooling collar which is not as efficient as the PDA-1 column.
      > wal
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" jamesonbeam1@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Steve,
      > >
      > > While I have heard good things about the Amphora PDA-1 column, im
      > > totally unfamiliar with the Essencia and also a simple pot distiller.
      > > You might want to go to our other group - Advanced Distillers
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/
      > > Mc. about this. They are all experts on the topic of reflux stills.
      > >
      > > JB.
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:new_distillers@yahoogroups.com , "steander57" <steander@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all, I have decided to start distilling again after a 4 year break,
      > > > and as my old home made still is damaged and needs some repairs I am
      > > thinking of buying a still head only, as I have all the other
      > > components. I have a 25lt pot with a Sutronics controller.
      > > >
      > > > I am tosing up between a Essencia or the PDA-1, any feed back would be
      > > appreciated.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance, Steve.

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
        The Essencia claims a 85-90%abv output. You can achieve this economically by adding a 1 metre (3ft. 4ins.)& 50mm (2ins.)diam. packed column (with a thermometer on top) to a pot still.
        wal