Ageing

  • Royce Thigpen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2010
      What do you people think of barrel ageing?  Like the little ones (5 Liter) you can buy on line.  Medium char I think is what the say.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2010
        Depends on what your making and the amount of char or toasting you want
        on it. Brewhause has some good quality ones and Mile Hi Distilling has
        some small ones on sale.

        However, I would stick with no smaller than a 5 liter. Compared to
        using a glass jar with chips, its a better duplication of the real way
        commercial distillers age.

        JB.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Royce Thigpen <fireside58@...>
        wrote:

        > What do you people think of barrel ageing? Like the little ones (5
        Liter) you can buy on line. Medium char I think is what the say.

      • Iker
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2011
          We made about 2 gallons of rum and I would like to age it all together what type of vessel would work for ageing and would I want to dilute this first?

          Thanks, Iker
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2011
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Iker" <Grandview06@...> wrote:

            > We made about 2 gallons of rum and I would like to age it all together what type of vessel would work for ageing and would I want to dilute this first?
            >
            > Thanks, Iker

            If you already know how to make 2 gallons of rum, then surely you have stumbled over the info on how/what to age the stuff.

          • Adam Fordham
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2011

              I've heard well read good and bad about small barrels. You can purchase them from online brewshops. I use 1 gallon glass jugs. I open the tops and air them once a month.

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30, 2011
                Hi, Adam and folks,
                I had a few one imperial gallon flagons without stoppers, and some fairly large screw-top jars with lids that were going rusty.
                By looking around at garage/yard sales and opportunity shops-

                ( Do you call them that in America?
                They sell second-hand clothes and household stuff.For charities.)

                -I have found a lot of smallish ceramic pots with corks (say less than two inch to a bit over four inch), from 50 cents to a dollar twenty-five each.
                Put the crock aside in case I need it one day (I never will...) and spend a little time on the cork with a rasp (gently lest it break, these are not the highest quality cork but they are fine for this) and I have my stoppers.
                Regards,
                The Baker

              • tgfoitwoods
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1 11:12 AM
                  Iker,

                  A lot depends on what kind of rum you're looking to make. I tend toward strong-flavored dark sipping rums, so I age in glass (carboys for 2 gallons if you want it all in the same container...otherwise 2 glass gallon jugs) with toasted oak sticks, at about 65% ABV,  until I've got the oak flavor developed, and than I add home-made caramel and a bit of vanilla to taste and color. What I'm shooting for is a bit like Zaya, a Trinidad sippin' rum, but with stronger rum flavor.

                  You'll probably want a different rum, so decide what you want, and find out how it's made. It'll be easier to match the aging process than some of the distilling processes, so aging will be your handiest tool. Once you find out what you like, read everything you can find from Alex Castillo and Harry. Then buy a bottle of whatever commercial rum you want to duplicate, and then start sipping, comparing, and tuning your process and recipe.

                  It's hard work but somebody's got to do it.:D

                  Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller