RE: [new_distillers] How long to run

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2010
      Royce,

      I'm not sure I'm understanding your question exactly, but maybe this will help. I, and many others, do it this way. During the first run of any wash, the stripping run, I discard the foreshots and collect everything else. I strip/distill at a fairly high rate, and run until the head temperature is about 99C (many do not go so far). All that distillate I have collected is called "second wines", or "strippate".

      After 2 or 3 stripping runs, I mix all the low wines from all the runs together, and dilute them to about 30% ABV. I put that diluted strippate in the boiler and do a slower, more careful distillation, called a "spirit run". If it's a recipe that's new to me, I discard foreshots and collect the distillate in many small, labeled, collection containers, which I let stand for a day. I dilute a small sample of each jar to 40% ABV, and taste/smell it carefully. Good stuff get mixed and aged for drinking. Bad stuff goes into the "junkahol" carboy, where it will be treated with bicarbonate and redistilled to make sortavodka.

      If I'm doing a spirit run on a known recipe, I make the cuts at the still according to ABV numbers collected in previous runs.

      I hope this helps.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: fireside58@...
      Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 07:39:03 -0700
      Subject: [new_distillers] How long to run

      Hey folks, I think I have been responding to y'all in the wrong manner.  Not use to yahoo groups.  Sorry.  However, question, if I collect all the tails and mix in next run, I assume you still throw out the foreshots, does that mess with the remaining mash you are adding it to?   I don't have a pot still large enough to make just one single run so I am adding the tails (I guess) to the remaining mash to run next.  I am making a UJSSM recipe.