Can't Follow Directions

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2010
      --- On Mon, 6/14/10, Royce Thigpen <fireside58@...> wrote:

      I did the UJSSM recipe, let it work all week until it stopped, ran it yesterday, got 1 qt. 70%.  I used 5 gallons water, 7 lbs. sugar, 7 lbs. cracked corn, and tossed in two packets of Flessman's baker's yeast.  After working, the was tasted dry and a little bitter, which is what I thought it should.  I am using a copper 2 1/2 gallon kettle and running the temps up to 183 degrees.  Stopping there because the ABV is dropping too much at that point.

      I have saved the wash from the last run, put it back in the new water/old corn with desolved sugar.  I have not added yeast at this time.  I will this afternoon when I get home.

      From reading this is there something I have missed?  Thanks in advance

      Royce,

      Please tell me a bit more on on this pot still of yours and how you distilled the 5 gallon batch.  If you distilled it in 2 runs, then at 8% ABV or so you should have got about 2 liters of 30% liquor or so from each run, if you went all the way down to 15% ABV into the tails.  See pot still calculations at http://homedistiller.org/pot_calc.htm . 2 runs would have given you about 4 liters of 30%.  If you then took these 4 liters of 30% and ran them thru again for your spirits run, taking out the first 100 ml. for the foreshots, you should have ended up with about 1.5 liters of around 70 percent if you made your cut at around 55% and saved the rest of the tails as feints, which is the proper way to do it.  Let me know how you came up with 1 liter at 70% and how you got there.  Sometime we should discuss proper ways to make cuts on the foreshots, heads and tails on the forum.  Also what do you mean adding the rest of the wash to your new batch? Are you referring to the backset from the still run?

      Regards,
      Jim.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2010
        Z Bob or others - Any comments??

        JB.

        Yup,
        I can picture your still. Sounds like you have quite a bit of internal refux going on it it.  As long as there are no leaks and your capturing all the vapors, the only thing I can add is your probably wasting quite a bit of good ethanol in the tails which can be thrown into the next run.  I usually distll down to around a 10% ABV.

        For your next fermentation, I would still add some more yeast and replace about 1/4th of the spent corn with new.

        Regards,
        Jim.

        --- On Mon, 6/14/10, Royce Thigpen <fireside58@...> wrote:

        Starting from the beginning.  I am using an old early 1900's copper kettle that will hold, full, 3 gallons.  I have a 1/2 riser with a tee near the top with a short 1/2" lateral off the side to a 3/8" worm long enough to condense the steam.  The worm ends up in a bucket with water that can be drained off and fresh, cool water added.  At the top of the riser is a thermometer.  I run it at 175 degrees with a small fire under kettle until it reaches about 182 degrees.  I have found that at 185 the ABV % is dropping fast.  Yesterday, I ran it like this and got about 1 pt. of 70% off each of the two runs.  I did throw out the first bit of forshots and did not keep the tails.  I guess you could say that I kept the hearts.  I believe that is what it is called.  As far as adding the rest back, yes I used the backset at a rate of 1 1/4 gallon added back to the 3 3/4 gallon of fresh water.  Is there enough yeast left in the mix to get it working again?  Also, can you picture my setup in your mind?

        > --- On Mon, 6/14/10, Royce Thigpen fireside58@... wrote:
        >
        > I did the UJSSM recipe, let it work all week until it stopped, ran it
        > yesterday, got 1 qt. 70%. I used 5 gallons water, 7 lbs. sugar, 7 lbs.
        > cracked corn, and tossed in two packets of Flessman's baker's yeast.
        > After working, the was tasted dry and a little bitter, which is what I
        > thought it should. I am using a copper 2 1/2 gallon kettle and running
        > the temps up to 183 degrees. Stopping there because the ABV is dropping
        > too much at that point. I have saved the wash from the last run, put
        > it back in the new water/old corn with desolved sugar. I have not added
        > yeast at this time. I will this afternoon when I get home. From
        > reading this is there something I have missed? Thanks in advance

        > Royce,
        Please tell me a bit more on on this pot still of yours and how
        > you distilled the 5 gallon batch. If you distilled it in 2 runs, then
        > at 8% ABV or so you should have got about 2 liters of 30% liquor or so
        > from each run, if you went all the way down to 15% ABV into the tails.
        > See pot still calculations at http://homedistiller.org/pot_calc.htm
        > <http://homedistiller.org/pot_calc.htm> . 2 runs would have given you
        > about 4 liters of 30%. If you then took these 4 liters of 30% and ran
        > them thru again for your spirits run, taking out the first 100 ml. for
        > the foreshots, you should have ended up with about 1.5 liters of around
        > 70 percent if you made your cut at around 55% and saved the rest of the
        > tails as feints, which is the proper way to do it. Let me know how you
        > came up with 1 liter at 70% and how you got there. Sometime we should
        > discuss proper ways to make cuts on the foreshots, heads and tails on
        > the forum. Also what do you mean adding the rest of the wash to your
        > new batch? Are you referring to the backset from the still run?
        > Regards, Jim.

      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2010
          Sorry, guys, but I have no experience with UJSSM's. I agree with you Jim, that he's throwing a lot of ethanol away with the tails. I save tails like that for making junkahol.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com