Re: SG and Wash

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2010
      Well Royce,

      Depending on the temps and yeast, you still have several days to go.
      Watch you SG as it goes down. If you used the 7 lbs. of sugar as the
      recipe states, you should get an ABV from 8 to 9%.

      Also tis a good idea to stir lightly to break up the crust, called a
      cap, once a day which will keep the yeast in suspension. Also watch the
      bubbles. As the yeast goes through the stationary phase and produces
      alcohol and C02 while using up the sugar, the yeast will flocculate to
      the bottom and the bubbles will become bigger and less frequent.

      After they stop, you should let it clear for a few days then strain it
      through a 5 gallon paint strainer bag or siphon it off the grains
      (called lautering).

      Fermentations can be keep for several weeks like this as long as the
      vessel is air tight or has an air lock after fermentation stops. Any
      longer that that it sould be racked or siphoned off the trub again and
      put into a glass secondary fermenter with an air lock to prevent
      infection.

      HTH.

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Royce Thigpen <fireside58@...>
      wrote:

      > It is still working right now. It has a mat (soft crust) on
      it. I started it Sunday morning. After it quits working, will
      it keep for a couple of days?

      > If I have already sent something like this, please excuse me. I
      hit a key earlier and I don't know what happened.