Re: the summer is here.

    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 6, 2010
      JD,

      You should never keep your primary fermentation on the trub or "lees"
      for a long period of time. This will contribute to off-flavors from the
      decaying yeast and stuff. Any wine maker will tell you to "rack" or
      siphon off you liquid from the trub into an air tight secondary
      fermenter with an air lock if your going to keep it for more than a few
      weeks....

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

      > yes, i am from the upper regions of europe yes.
      > i keep my where abouts in a mist if you dont mind.
      > under the concept "dont sell , dont tell" and, dont meet and greet.
      >
      > Sorry to hear about the ac breaking,luckly its fixed now.
      >
      > i now found out that most of the yeast is on the bottom of the
      fermentor. so i put them now in a lower bucket with a few rocks in it an
      filled with water.
      > it helps a little but not very much, maybe just enough.
      >
      > Greetz, as in,
      > De Groeten
      >
      > JD
    • JD
      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 14, 2010
        Yes magical tape it is,

        The boiler.
        whas a 30 litre cheaper version of the electric weck ketle .
        http://www.weckonline.com/shop/product.php?productid=16212&cat=272&page=1
        it does have an termostat from 20/100 C
        and does not have an timer.
        it gives the abilty to setup and put it on 60'C and leave ore go to bed. this then heats up the bottom only to 60'c it will take and few hours to get it completle to 60'C ,But it warms it up for me.

        Then i use this controler
        http://www2.conrad.nl/goto.php?artikel=191343
        wich is in the wooden box.

        fully open and ketlle set on 100'C it will heat up in an hour and half(from cold 15'C wash), then i turn it slowly back till the point i want it to, and keep the kettle on 100'C

        The lid is massive oak wood.
        Coverd with Bison kit BOUW.
        then pushed on the lid.
        I wandet it to be openable again so i kept it on with the bungee cords.

        I still need to make proper hinges with wing nuts.
        to tie it down harder.
        The lid did leak, but not anymore i putt a fermenter filled with water .
        then boiled 15 litre's of water. it setlled and doesnt leak anymore.

        the origional lid is plastic but wouldnt hold the colum.

        I also use it to steam out the fermentors.

        with the controler set a little back it keeps the water boiling and with a hose direct the steam under the fermentor, wich is upside down.
        let it steam for an hour and putt an other fermentor on it.

        Thats about it.
        the colum can be filled with scrubbers. but im getting back to whiskey instead of vodka.

        Greetz

        JD