the summer is here.

  • JD
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 6, 2010
      Sinds we meet ppl here from all over the world.

      For some the summer starts for other the winter is there. as far as it is called winter.

      We all know the summer break and in our hobby we also take the summer break.
      Im still waiting for the cornflakes wash to settle out it has bin a month now if not longer.(never waited this long )
      So i keep thinking how to improve stuff aspecially recypies.
      for now im hoping that a longer settle will help reduce the offsmells i frequently got some sugar runs. ( and it smelled bad like bbq fuel )
      it might have bin my equipment.

      so my room temp is now 80F ( about 27C )
      way to warm to get something fermenting.
      cleaning all the copper and boiler fermentors bungs locks etc
      trying to find a good strain of yeast.

      So what are you all doing?

      are you still fermenting, ore redesigning, how do you keep you wash cooler.

      thanks

      Greetz

      JD
    • JD
      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 14, 2010
        Yes magical tape it is,

        The boiler.
        whas a 30 litre cheaper version of the electric weck ketle .
        http://www.weckonline.com/shop/product.php?productid=16212&cat=272&page=1
        it does have an termostat from 20/100 C
        and does not have an timer.
        it gives the abilty to setup and put it on 60'C and leave ore go to bed. this then heats up the bottom only to 60'c it will take and few hours to get it completle to 60'C ,But it warms it up for me.

        Then i use this controler
        http://www2.conrad.nl/goto.php?artikel=191343
        wich is in the wooden box.

        fully open and ketlle set on 100'C it will heat up in an hour and half(from cold 15'C wash), then i turn it slowly back till the point i want it to, and keep the kettle on 100'C

        The lid is massive oak wood.
        Coverd with Bison kit BOUW.
        then pushed on the lid.
        I wandet it to be openable again so i kept it on with the bungee cords.

        I still need to make proper hinges with wing nuts.
        to tie it down harder.
        The lid did leak, but not anymore i putt a fermenter filled with water .
        then boiled 15 litre's of water. it setlled and doesnt leak anymore.

        the origional lid is plastic but wouldnt hold the colum.

        I also use it to steam out the fermentors.

        with the controler set a little back it keeps the water boiling and with a hose direct the steam under the fermentor, wich is upside down.
        let it steam for an hour and putt an other fermentor on it.

        Thats about it.
        the colum can be filled with scrubbers. but im getting back to whiskey instead of vodka.

        Greetz

        JD