Re: CO2 Bubbles nearly done, what now

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010

      Hello Poor,

      Comments inline below.

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "poorgeorgie3x" <gs.ryan@...> wrote:

      > I made a sugar-based mash 9 days ago, and CO2 is still escaping my air-lock about once every minute or so, sometimes more frequently and sometimes less frequently.

      How big are the bubbles?  If they are large and infrequent that means it done  or best way is to test with an hydrometer.  Taste is another way, if its dry and sour its done.

      I have gathered mixed wisdom from differents websites about stirring the mash. Am I risking anything by not stirring and letting the process go at its own pace? Should I stir it?

      During the exponetial growth phase (first 36 hours or so) you should stir vigorously since this is the aerobic phase.  After that (anaerobic or stationary phase), just stir lightly to keep the cap down and yeast in suspension.

      > Also, some sites say you can try adding small quantities of sugar near the end of the process to prolong the alcohol production. Is this a good idea?

      Totally dependant on how much sugar you started off with.  While turbos advertise making 18% ABV or greater, I dont recommend stressing any yeast out by adding too much sugar.

      I added a nutrient packet along with my turbo yeast which turned the mash completely black, and the mash is still dark so I assume there is plenty of nutrients to keep the yeast alive.

      Turbo yeast packets include nutrients in them that are pre-mixed for optimum performance.  There was no need to add addition nutrients and also a bad idea to try and stack multiple packets due to heat generation.

      Hope this helps.

      JB.

    • gary
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
        Hi Ryan, FWIW (for what it is worth) I too visited every website and got every answer available for the same question.. SAI (seems as if) answers are like .......belly holes, everyone has one... I have gone for the cafeteria style,, take what you want and leave the rest,, if it doesn't work out go back...Not much of an answer, but it has worked for me... You will soon know which folks KTS (know there s....tuff) ..go with them forget the rest. I love this texting stuff, a challenge for sure...

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2010

          Hi Gary,

          JFC (just from curiosity) WIYA (what is your answers) TTQ (to these questions)?

          :D:D:D

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Moderator.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gary" <gd230@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ryan, FWIW (for what it is worth) I too visited every website and got every answer available for the same question.. SAI (seems as if) answers are like .......belly holes, everyone has one... I have gone for the cafeteria style,, take what you want and leave the rest,, if it doesn't work out go back...Not much of an answer, but it has worked for me... You will soon know which folks KTS (know there s....tuff) ..go with them forget the rest. I love this texting stuff, a challenge for sure...

        • geoff
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2010
            On a lighter but similar verbal vain, you could say there is no F in whey
            Geoff
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2010

              Bonjour Geoff,

              As usually your highly sophisticated European sense of humor has me totally baffled again.  Does this have anything in common with that Irishman and his sheep???  Please help me out here :>.

              JB.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

              > On a lighter but similar verbal vain, you could say there is no F in whey
              > Geoff

            • Steve Spence
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2010
                Even this American caught that one. no effin way ......

                Steve Spence
                Renewable energy and self sufficiency
                http://www.green-trust.org
                http://makingthewebwork.blogspot.com/

                On 06/03/2010 05:37 PM, jamesonbeam1 wrote:

                > Bonjour Geoff,
                >
                > As usually your highly sophisticated European sense of humor has me
                > totally baffled again. Does this have anything in common with that
                > Irishman and his sheep??? Please help me out here :>.
                >
                > JB.
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> On a lighter but similar verbal vain, you could say there is no F in whey
                >> Geoff

              • geoff
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2010

                  Hi Jameson,

                       First off let me apologize to you Poor and the rest of the forum for any flippancy on my part I don’t know what I was thinking.  I broke one of my cardinal rules of drinking my own vodka and half reading and commenting on forum posts. My contribution to this post was absolutely zip and did not answer any of his questions.

                      Looking back and reading the original post, I’m in total agreement with you Jameson and all you’re in line comments in Poor’s original mail. Once again Poor and everyone I apologize for trying to play the fool with words and generally being a crude smart-arse and not staying focused and answering your post properly.  So enough said on my part, lesson learned yet again time crawl back into my box, read some more and just generally lurk.

                  Geoff

                • gary
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 4, 2010
                    Geoff, as a third party reading this thread: unless I have missed something, I didn't see anything too objectionable in your remark, in fact I thought it quite funny and I now have a new phrase to bring out at the next dinner party...

                    Gary

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Jameson,
                    >
                    > First off let me apologize to you Poor and the rest of the forum for any flippancy on my part I don't know what I was thinking. I broke one of my cardinal rules of drinking my own vodka and half reading and commenting on forum posts. My contribution to this post was absolutely zip and did not answer any of his questions.
                    >
                    > Looking back and reading the original post, I'm in total agreement with you Jameson and all you're in line comments in Poor's original mail. Once again Poor and everyone I apologize for trying to play the fool with words and generally being a crude smart-arse and not staying focused and answering your post properly. So enough said on my part, lesson learned yet again time crawl back into my box, read some more and just generally lurk.
                    >
                    > Geoff

                  • waljaco
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 4, 2010
                      Not the Irish! Kiwis are the sheep shaggers...
                      wal

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 4, 2010

                        Ahhh Geoff, Geoff,

                        Du rien monsieur totalement...  I was just puzzled by what you were referring to.  Please re-read our group policy again  - especially:

                        3.  STAY ON-TOPIC

                        The topic is distilling and related issues.  Some latitude via general joviality & cameraderie is welcome and acceptable

                        So relax and enjoy!!!

                        JB.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Jameson,
                        >
                        > First off let me apologize to you Poor and the rest of the forum for any flippancy on my part I don't know what I was thinking. I broke one of my cardinal rules of drinking my own vodka and half reading and commenting on forum posts. My contribution to this post was absolutely zip and did not answer any of his questions.
                        >
                        > Looking back and reading the original post, I'm in total agreement with you Jameson and all you're in line comments in Poor's original mail. Once again Poor and everyone I apologize for trying to play the fool with words and generally being a crude smart-arse and not staying focused and answering your post properly. So enough said on my part, lesson learned yet again time crawl back into my box, read some more and just generally lurk.
                        >
                        > Geoff

                      • tgfoitwoods
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 4, 2010
                          No apologies needed, Geoff. Look around you. You are completely surrounded by unfocused word-fools being crude smart-arses. Actually, I think your comments may have elevated the tone of the discussion a bit.

                          Don't drop into lurk mode; we'd miss you.

                          Zymurgy Bob, a crude, unfocused, smart-arse word-fool, AND a simple potstiller

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 4, 2010

                            Sorry Wal,

                            Actually it was a Scotsman and his sheep I was referring to that Geoff was good enough to send me a while back:

                            A SCOTSMAN walks into the bedroom with a sheep on a leash and says...

                            "Honey, this is the cow I make love to when you have a headache."

                            The wife, lying in the bed reading a book, looks up and says,
                            "If you weren't such an idiot, you'd know that's a sheep,
                            not a cow."

                            The guy replies, "If you weren't such a presumptuous bitch,
                            you'd realize I was talking
                            to the sheep."

                            Anyways Poor, back on topic.  When you finally decide if your wash is finished, Ken Mc. highly recommends using a turbo clear product to clarify the wash before distillation....

                            JB.

                            > Not the Irish! Kiwis are the sheep shaggers...
                            > wal
                            >
                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" jamesonbeam1@ wrote:
                            > >

                            > > Bonjour Geoff,
                            > >
                            > > As usually your highly sophisticated European sense of humor has me
                            > > totally baffled again. Does this have anything in common with that
                            > > Irishman and his sheep??? Please help me out here [:>] .
                            > >
                            > > JB.

                          • just me
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 4, 2010
                              That is what I enjoy about this site. The mods allow humor.I enjoyed this thread.
                              Just Me
                              The liver is evil.It must be punished.