New To Process

  • roycethigpen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2010
      Hello all. I am new to this stuff and am looking something not too complex to start with, however, I am not looking to use sugar/water mix. Maybe something a little harder than that. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to work with some grains and found that I don't know what I am doing. So if someone has something simple that works, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2010

        Hi Royce,

        See you took my advice and came over here.  We have lots of members willing to help out, alot of which are also in Distillers.

        Since it sounds like you want to start with some simple corn likker stuff, the UJSSM is very basic and gives good results if you not ready for the mashing with malt yet.  Many of us have started off with that including myself.  However, during the process, ive made some changes to it and started using good ol corn flakes, which contains additional vitamins and nutrients along with some malt flavoring.  I've also used corn meal instead of cracked corn but you have to be careful when simmering it or you will end up with corn porriage.  Might want to just start off with 2 large boxes of corn flakes.

        Below is a posting from a while back with the recipe:

        A corn flake wash is what some of us started on.  Its got lots of added nutrients, vitamins and malt flavor.  Since you have a few sugar washes under you belt now, it sounds like a good idea to try going after some good ol' corn likker moonshine.

        Making corn whiskey is a bit more involved than just making a simple sugar / MUM wash.  One of the main practices in making corn whiskey is "sour mashing".  This is where you start off with your first "sweet mash", distill it and then add back some of the backset (leftover liquid from your still) along with using  some of the leftover trub ( corn and dormant spent yeast at the bottom of the fermenter) and more grains/yeast for your next fermentation..  This continues for many generations.

        The more times you do this, the better the result.  Almost alll Bourbon makers and Tennessee Whisk(e)y makers incorporate the method of sour mashing.  If you havent already found it, on the left in the Links and Datatbase sections is the Info Base with many links to info on fermentation and distilling,  along with links to Tony's Homedistillers site - our bible.  You should read through it sometimes.

        In it you will find Uncle Jesse's (who now owns his own distillery)  Simple Sour Mash recipe  or UJSSM as we call it - Sour Mash Whiskey - Uncle Jesse's Method / Recipe

        While he starts with cracked corn, I changed it a bit and began using corn flakes and some corn meal.  This is good for beginners, since it doent require going through the whole mashing process using malts and enzymes to convert the starches to sugars - check it out.

        My original recipe for the first sweet mash (makes 5 gallons) was:

        - 1 large box corn flakes  (or 2 boxes and forget the corn meal) crushed

        - 3 lbs. corn meal

        - 8 lbs. sugar

        - 1/2  can frozen orange juice concentrate (or 4 large lemons juiced).

        - 3-4 tsp. plant food (for the nitrogen, potassium, phosphates and other minerals) if you want.  This is optional.

        2 -  packets of active bakers yeast (or 1 packet 5gr. EC-1118)

        ______________

        *lightly simmer the corn flakes and corn meal in 1 gallon of water (gelatinize it).  When cool add the plant food and mix.

        *Add 1/2 can of frozen OJ concentrate to 1/2 gallon water - bring to boil and add suger to invert it (look up inverting suger in the Info Base).  Let simmer for 30 minutes and let cool. Do not boil 0r it will froth over.

        *Add corn mixture to your fermenter with inverted sugar liquid.  Top off to 5 gallons and mix well.  Cover and let sit overnight.

        *Next day dehydrate and pitch yeast and stir hard every 10 - 15 minutes to aerate for the first 4  hours or so.  A good idea is to use an air pump and air stone to aerate for the first 4 to 6 hours.  Cover and break up cap every day.

        If you have any questions feel free to ask.  Again Welcome aboard, good luck and Be Safe.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "roycethigpen" <roycethigpen@...> wrote:

        > Hello all. I am new to this stuff and am looking something not too complex to start with, however, I am not looking to use sugar/water mix. Maybe something a little harder than that. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to work with some grains and found that I don't know what I am doing. So if someone has something simple that works, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

      • Royce Thigpen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2010
          Thanks for the info and recipe.  I read about the cornflakes and tried it but I didn't read or understand the whole process.  Yours below makes more sense.  I will try that one.  Again thanks!