Hardwood

  • bigdaddyg851
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2010
      in my opinion, (its my 52 birthday today) so i have right to an opinion. for true flavor from wood, like smoking meat in the back yard. only hardwood, fruit and nut trees have the best flavors . i live in the NE U.S.A. were all these trees and wood are bountiful.a few weeks back i pruned my grape vines , cut and toasted a few pieces of big stuff i had to cut and added to a pear brandy i distilled . what an awesome flavor and golden color . i just gave it a sample try . my first drink of the day. HERE WE GO !
      bigdaddyg
    • Henk Stuurman
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2010
        congratulations!!!!

        Message 3 of 4 , May 21, 2010
          Sounds like your off to having a good one! Yes i have some plum trees
          in the back and going to try some of that along with some apple as John
          suggested in my rum and see what results. Totally agree with ya on the
          fruit and nut trees - dont know about mesquite though, might be too
          harsha flavor.

          JB.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...>
          wrote:

          > in my opinion, (its my 52 birthday today) so i have right to an
          opinion. for true flavor from wood, like smoking meat in the back yard.
          only hardwood, fruit and nut trees have the best flavors . i live in the
          NE U.S.A. were all these trees and wood are bountiful.a few weeks back i
          pruned my grape vines , cut and toasted a few pieces of big stuff i had
          to cut and added to a pear brandy i distilled . what an awesome flavor
          and golden color . i just gave it a sample try . my first drink of the
          day. HERE WE GO !
          > bigdaddyg

        • bigdaddyg851
          Message 4 of 4 , May 21, 2010
            yeah, i don't think Mesquite would be any good in rum .better keep the Mesquite for the smoker .and something that's not readily available to me in the NE.
            Mesquite (from Nahuatl mizquitl) is a leguminous plant of the Prosopis genus found in northern Mexico through the Sonoran Desert and Chihuahuan Deserts, and up into the southwestern United States as far north as southern Kansas and as far east as the eastern fifth of Texas, where average annual rainfall is in excess of 40 inches.