Making the perfect RUM

  • running_with_rum39
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2010
      First you fermet a mash, distill it off, age it, flavor it and then spend the rest of your life perfecting it. I've tried many ways and made some fine rums but always looking to one better it. Any thoughts?
    • JD
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2010
        I think its more a matter of personal choise,

        though:

        Mainly it all starts with the ingredients.
        when i do whiskey , the ingredients need to be as perfect as possible.

        I do run corn flakes mashes and try keep things whitin the reach of my wallet.( wich isnt very deep sadly )
        but one time i have tried an all grain mash to compare, and it whas far better the the semi sugar corn washes i had made.
        the only thing that came closer whas with amylase enzymes added to the cornflakes and mashed this, then fermented it whitout the sugar added.

        Greetz,

        JD

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "running_with_rum39" <germ60@...> wrote:

        > First you fermet a mash, distill it off, age it, flavor it and then spend the rest of your life perfecting it. I've tried many ways and made some fine rums but always looking to one better it. Any thoughts?

      • pint_o_shine
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2010
          running_with_rum39, what is your definition of the perfect rum?

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

          > I think its more a matter of personal choise,
          >
          > though:
          >
          > Mainly it all starts with the ingredients.
          > when i do whiskey , the ingredients need to be as perfect as possible.
          >
          > I do run corn flakes mashes and try keep things whitin the reach of my wallet.( wich isnt very deep sadly )
          > but one time i have tried an all grain mash to compare, and it whas far better the the semi sugar corn washes i had made.
          > the only thing that came closer whas with amylase enzymes added to the cornflakes and mashed this, then fermented it whitout the sugar added.
          >
          > Greetz,
          >
          > JD
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "running_with_rum39" <germ60@> wrote:
          > >
          > > First you fermet a mash, distill it off, age it, flavor it and then spend the rest of your life perfecting it. I've tried many ways and made some fine rums but always looking to one better it. Any thoughts?

        • B Stinga
          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2010
            Ron Zacapa failling that something like Appletons 21yo. Ok, so who's got the recipies for me! Preferably the 6 month version not the 20 plus year version :)

            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2010
              My goal is to end up with one that is as good or better than a couple of my fav's. **Flor De Cana** from Nicaragua or **Centenario** from Costa Rica.