Re: Another Newbie Here

  • wildforager1
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10 2:48 PM
      Jim,

      Your words are heartening and give me hope that I'll get some sort of acceptance for my desire to distill my homebrews. I totally hear you about the "Not Selling" thing. My interest in building a still was rekindled with a recent visit to rural Arkansas. While I was there I made a few low key requests for some shine and I ended up meeting the maker himself. He showed me his still (after a couple of sips of some of his corn whiskey) and was kind enough to give me a pint of his booze. I feel kind of sentimental when I think of it. My first time sippin' some shine and the first time I saw a working still. Pretty cool. Glad I found this group to get more inspired and find some camaraderie.

      Thanks,
      Wildforager

      > Actually Big,
      >
      > They do. Check out http://www.atf.gov/ <http://www.atf.gov/> . Yes,
      > distilling without the federal and state required permits is against the
      > law. Im afraid Wildforager was breaking the law by even doing cold
      > distillation or fractional crystalization, since it increases alcohol by
      > volume above the legal limits of fermentation from yeast as allowed in
      > the beer and wine making regulations.
      >
      > However (yes the ol' ya butt comma), owning a still in the US of A is
      > legal. Its what and how much you distill through it. Our friends at
      > the BATF are way more interested and focused on what we term
      > "Bootlegging". If you review the most recent alcohol busts, these are
      > related to the idiots that try and make large quantities of ethanol for
      > drinking purposes and selling across state lines, without paying the
      > government its hard earned taxes. Not to mention the much larger drug
      > problems around here thanks to the South Americans and poppy growers
      > over in that European country. In short, if one is making a quart or 2
      > for personal consumption, im sure they will not be put on the "most
      > wanted list". We are here to make distilling safe and someday be made
      > legal as is beer and wine making today. This is why we tell people
      > around here that this is just a hobby for personal use and DO NOT SELL
      > your product.
      >
      > Im afraid, from personal experience, that this is not his biggest
      > obstacle... Trying to hide your hobby from someone living with you is
      > totally impossible... [;)]
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      >
      > Jim aka Waldo.

    • JD
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10 3:04 PM
        So the saying goes: dont sell, dont tell.

        except for your girlfriend offcourse.

        By the way.

        Its imho saver to run it trough a still then the whole freeze distilation , cause it then stil contains the methanol it produced when fermenting, wich you can delete when running it trough a pot still. ;)

        cheers

        so, Jim said :

        > However (yes the ol' ya butt comma), owning a still in the US of A is
        > legal. Its what and how much you distill through it. Our friends at
        > the BATF are way more interested and focused on what we term
        > "Bootlegging". If you review the most recent alcohol busts, these are
        > related to the idiots that try and make large quantities of ethanol for
        > drinking purposes and selling across state lines, without paying the
        > government its hard earned taxes. Not to mention the much larger drug
        > problems around here thanks to the South Americans and poppy growers
        > over in that European country. In short, if one is making a quart or 2
        > for personal consumption, im sure they will not be put on the "most
        > wanted list". We are here to make distilling safe and someday be made
        > legal as is beer and wine making today. This is why we tell people
        > around here that this is just a hobby for personal use and DO NOT SELL
        > your product.
      • ben marks
        Message 3 of 7 , May 11 2:17 AM
          take this for what ever you think it is worth
          i have a friend who is a atf agent (and who also likes the stuff i make) he told there has never been a cast prosecuted that did not evolve sales.

          Some people are like slinkies- not good for anything, But it sure is fun to push them down the stairs

          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: bigdaddyg851@...
          Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 22:00:09 +0000
          Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Another Newbie Here

          --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@ ...> wrote:
          >WoW waldo,
          I'm almost afraid to click on any links at that site :). lots of information there from atf most wanted to business opportunities .cool site, thanks waldo !