Another Newbie Here

  • wildforager1
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2010
      Hello,

      I've been making my own wine and beer for a little over 10 years and I'm finally thinking of taking the next step. I've been ice distilling my wine during the cold winters here in WI but I realize I could get a much nicer product with a pot still. I've started to collect some of the parts and pieces for my rig already. I have come up against one obstacle though.... my girlfriend. She lives here too is worried about the legalities of me using a still. If I'm just making some applejack or brandy once and a while what's the big deal? I imagine if I would get busted I'd get a fine. Does anyone know what are the specifics on the penalties? Maybe point me to a link for more info?

      Thanks,
      Wildforager
    • bigdaddyg851
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2010
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wildforager1" <moonwise_herbs@...> wrote:
        >evrything you want to know is here. (http://homedistille r.org/)i dont know about specific penalties, does the ATF HAVE A SITE ?
        bigdaddyg

        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2010

          Actually Big,

          They do.  Check out http://www.atf.gov/ .  Yes, distilling without the federal and state required permits is against the law.  Im afraid Wildforager was breaking the law by even doing cold distillation or fractional crystalization, since it increases alcohol by volume above the legal limits of fermentation from yeast as allowed in the beer and wine making regulations.

          However (yes the ol' ya butt comma), owning a still in the US of A is legal.  Its what and how much you distill through it.  Our friends at the BATF are way more interested and focused on what we term "Bootlegging".  If you review the most recent alcohol busts, these are related to the idiots that try and make large quantities of ethanol for drinking purposes and selling across state lines, without paying the government its hard earned taxes.  Not to mention the much larger drug problems around here thanks to the South Americans and poppy growers over in that European country.  In short, if one is making a quart or 2 for personal consumption, im sure they will not be put on the "most wanted list".  We are here to make distilling safe and someday be made legal as is beer and wine making today.  This is why we tell people around here that this is just a hobby for personal use and DO NOT SELL your product.

          Im afraid, from personal experience, that this is not his biggest obstacle...  Trying to hide your hobby from someone living with you is totally impossible...;)

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wildforager1" moonwise_herbs@ wrote:
          > >evrything you want to know is here. http://homedistiller.org    i dont know about specific penalties, does the ATF HAVE A SITE ?
          > bigdaddyg

          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I've been making my own wine and beer for a little over 10 years and I'm finally thinking of taking the next step. I've been ice distilling my wine during the cold winters here in WI but I realize I could get a much nicer product with a pot still. I've started to collect some of the parts and pieces for my rig already. I have come up against one obstacle though.... my girlfriend. She lives here too is worried about the legalities of me using a still. If I'm just making some applejack or brandy once and a while what's the big deal? I imagine if I would get busted I'd get a fine. Does anyone know what are the specifics on the penalties? Maybe point me to a link for more info?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Wildforager

        • wildforager1
          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2010
            Jim,

            Your words are heartening and give me hope that I'll get some sort of acceptance for my desire to distill my homebrews. I totally hear you about the "Not Selling" thing. My interest in building a still was rekindled with a recent visit to rural Arkansas. While I was there I made a few low key requests for some shine and I ended up meeting the maker himself. He showed me his still (after a couple of sips of some of his corn whiskey) and was kind enough to give me a pint of his booze. I feel kind of sentimental when I think of it. My first time sippin' some shine and the first time I saw a working still. Pretty cool. Glad I found this group to get more inspired and find some camaraderie.

            Thanks,
            Wildforager

            > Actually Big,
            >
            > They do. Check out http://www.atf.gov/ <http://www.atf.gov/> . Yes,
            > distilling without the federal and state required permits is against the
            > law. Im afraid Wildforager was breaking the law by even doing cold
            > distillation or fractional crystalization, since it increases alcohol by
            > volume above the legal limits of fermentation from yeast as allowed in
            > the beer and wine making regulations.
            >
            > However (yes the ol' ya butt comma), owning a still in the US of A is
            > legal. Its what and how much you distill through it. Our friends at
            > the BATF are way more interested and focused on what we term
            > "Bootlegging". If you review the most recent alcohol busts, these are
            > related to the idiots that try and make large quantities of ethanol for
            > drinking purposes and selling across state lines, without paying the
            > government its hard earned taxes. Not to mention the much larger drug
            > problems around here thanks to the South Americans and poppy growers
            > over in that European country. In short, if one is making a quart or 2
            > for personal consumption, im sure they will not be put on the "most
            > wanted list". We are here to make distilling safe and someday be made
            > legal as is beer and wine making today. This is why we tell people
            > around here that this is just a hobby for personal use and DO NOT SELL
            > your product.
            >
            > Im afraid, from personal experience, that this is not his biggest
            > obstacle... Trying to hide your hobby from someone living with you is
            > totally impossible... [;)]
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            >
            > Jim aka Waldo.

          • bigdaddyg851
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2010
              >WoW waldo,
              I'm almost afraid to click on any links at that site :). lots of information there from atf most wanted to business opportunities .cool site, thanks waldo !

              > Actually Big,
              >
              > They do. Check out http://www.atf.gov/ <http://www.atf.gov/> . Yes,
              > distilling without the federal and state required permits is against the
              > law. Im afraid Wildforager was breaking the law by even doing cold
              > distillation or fractional crystalization, since it increases alcohol by
              > volume above the legal limits of fermentation from yeast as allowed in
              > the beer and wine making regulations.
              >
              > However (yes the ol' ya butt comma), owning a still in the US of A is
              > legal. Its what and how much you distill through it. Our friends at
              > the BATF are way more interested and focused on what we term
              > "Bootlegging". If you review the most recent alcohol busts, these are
              > related to the idiots that try and make large quantities of ethanol for
              > drinking purposes and selling across state lines, without paying the
              > government its hard earned taxes. Not to mention the much larger drug
              > problems around here thanks to the South Americans and poppy growers
              > over in that European country. In short, if one is making a quart or 2
              > for personal consumption, im sure they will not be put on the "most
              > wanted list". We are here to make distilling safe and someday be made
              > legal as is beer and wine making today. This is why we tell people
              > around here that this is just a hobby for personal use and DO NOT SELL
              > your product.
              >
              > Im afraid, from personal experience, that this is not his biggest
              > obstacle... Trying to hide your hobby from someone living with you is
              > totally impossible... [;)]
              >
              > Vino es Veritas,
              >
              > Jim aka Waldo.

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wildforager1" moonwise_herbs@
              > wrote:
              > > >evrything you want to know is here. http://homedistiller.org
              > <http://homedistiller.org > i dont know about specific penalties,
              > does the ATF HAVE A SITE ?
              > > bigdaddyg
              >

              > > > Hello,
              > > >
              > > > I've been making my own wine and beer for a little over 10 years and
              > I'm finally thinking of taking the next step. I've been ice distilling
              > my wine during the cold winters here in WI but I realize I could get a
              > much nicer product with a pot still. I've started to collect some of the
              > parts and pieces for my rig already. I have come up against one obstacle
              > though.... my girlfriend. She lives here too is worried about the
              > legalities of me using a still. If I'm just making some applejack or
              > brandy once and a while what's the big deal? I imagine if I would get
              > busted I'd get a fine. Does anyone know what are the specifics on the
              > penalties? Maybe point me to a link for more info?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Wildforager

            • JD
              Message 6 of 7 , May 10, 2010
                So the saying goes: dont sell, dont tell.

                except for your girlfriend offcourse.

                By the way.

                Its imho saver to run it trough a still then the whole freeze distilation , cause it then stil contains the methanol it produced when fermenting, wich you can delete when running it trough a pot still. ;)

                cheers

                so, Jim said :

                > However (yes the ol' ya butt comma), owning a still in the US of A is
                > legal. Its what and how much you distill through it. Our friends at
                > the BATF are way more interested and focused on what we term
                > "Bootlegging". If you review the most recent alcohol busts, these are
                > related to the idiots that try and make large quantities of ethanol for
                > drinking purposes and selling across state lines, without paying the
                > government its hard earned taxes. Not to mention the much larger drug
                > problems around here thanks to the South Americans and poppy growers
                > over in that European country. In short, if one is making a quart or 2
                > for personal consumption, im sure they will not be put on the "most
                > wanted list". We are here to make distilling safe and someday be made
                > legal as is beer and wine making today. This is why we tell people
                > around here that this is just a hobby for personal use and DO NOT SELL
                > your product.
              • ben marks
                Message 7 of 7 , May 11, 2010
                  take this for what ever you think it is worth
                  i have a friend who is a atf agent (and who also likes the stuff i make) he told there has never been a cast prosecuted that did not evolve sales.

                  Some people are like slinkies- not good for anything, But it sure is fun to push them down the stairs

                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  From: bigdaddyg851@...
                  Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 22:00:09 +0000
                  Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Another Newbie Here