Re: Beer kits

  • billy.turf
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2010
      I had 50liters of premuim imported beer. It was free and I thought oh what the hey, might as well try it.
      I can best describe the flavor as stale beer that got left out open warm on the table at a party in one word it was nasty the flavor is indeed very strong hops. I corked it and am letting it age, it has been almost two years now. One day I will have to try it again I read someplace that it gets better with age.

      > Ben,
      >
      > I'm kinda shooting from the hip, here, but having some experience at the kinds of flavors that come through the still, I'd say that any difference in ester profile created by the yeast differences alone would be pretty subtle and hard to detect in the spirit.
      >
      > I'd concentrate on the grain bill, and just don't hop it.
      >
      > Hmmmm, I've never tried Rogue's whiskey.
      >
      > handimun,
      >
      > Unlike Ben's yeast differences, hops in the wash give a very pronounced flavor to the spirit. The Germans do it on purpose (or claim that's why they did it, anyway) and call it "bierschnapps".
      >
      > Most people don't care for the distilled hops flavor. Oh yeah, Trid loves the stuff, but I suspect he'd drink anything that didn't drink him first, so don't believe anything he says.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

    • triddlywinks
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2010
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...>
        > Unlike Ben's yeast differences, hops in the wash give a very pronounced flavor to the spirit. The Germans do it on purpose (or claim that's why they did it, anyway) and call it "bierschnapps".
        >
        > Most people don't care for the distilled hops flavor. Oh yeah, Trid loves the stuff, but I suspect he'd drink anything that didn't drink him first, so don't believe anything he says.
        >
        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        Aw c'mon now...it's really NOT that bad :) At the very least, I'd say give it a try.

        Trid
        - didn't drink me first, indeed...
        *chuckle*
      • torger_johnson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2010
          To me it tastes a bit like that coriander laden Norwegian drink, Akvavit. An acquired taste, but I liked how mine came out.