Beer kits

  • handi mun
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7 5:31 AM
      I have several cans of malt and hop mixes from the "Mister Beer" kits..can these be used for a whiskey run...and how much should I use for a 6 gal wash?
    • bigdaddyg851
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7 6:05 AM
        i have made a wonderful single malt whiskey with two cans of malt .i don't know how it would be with the hops however .
        bigdaddyg

        Message 3 of 9 , May 7 6:11 AM
          Hops will give it a very bitter flavor. If they are a mixture then he
          is SOL. Also, how big are the cans?

          JB.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...>
          wrote:

          > i have made a wonderful single malt whiskey with two cans of malt .i
          don't know how it would be with the hops however .
          > bigdaddyg
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "handi mun" pressmun@ wrote:
          > >
          > > I have several cans of malt and hop mixes from the "Mister Beer"
          kits..can these be used for a whiskey run...and how much should I use
          for a 6 gal wash?

        • Rasputin Paracelsus
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7 7:23 AM
            I made a whiskey from beer before; the bitter didn't come through so far
            as I could tell. The big problem was foaming in the boiler...

            jamesonbeam1 wrote:
            > Hops will give it a very bitter flavor. If they are a mixture then he
            > is SOL. Also, how big are the cans?
            >
            > JB.
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >> i have made a wonderful single malt whiskey with two cans of malt .i
            >>
            > don't know how it would be with the hops however .
            >
            >> bigdaddyg
            >>
            >> --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "handi mun" pressmun@ wrote:
            >>
            >>> I have several cans of malt and hop mixes from the "Mister Beer"
            >>>
            > kits..can these be used for a whiskey run...and how much should I use
            > for a 6 gal wash?

          • ben marks
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7 8:17 AM
              what kind of yeast did you use ?

               i brew beer and i harvest my yeast so i have a bunch of different kinds of ale yeast and in beer yeast makes all the difference in the world  would it make that much difference in distilling?
              i sure would love to distill some dead guy ale  as the brewery/distillery for dead guy ale/whiskey uses the same grain bill and dead guy whiskey is real good ...ben

              ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
              Some people are like slinkies- not good for anything, But it sure is fun to push them down the stairs

              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              From: bigdaddyg851@...
              Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 13:05:20 +0000
              Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Beer kits

              i have made a wonderful single malt whiskey with two cans of malt .i don't know how it would be with the hops however .
              bigdaddyg

              --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "handi mun" <pressmun@.. .> wrote:

              > I have several cans of malt and hop mixes from the "Mister Beer" kits..can these be used for a whiskey run...and how much should I use for a 6 gal wash?

            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 9 , May 7 9:38 AM
                Ben,

                I'm kinda shooting from the hip, here, but having some experience at the kinds of flavors that come through the still, I'd say that any difference in ester profile created by the yeast differences alone would be pretty subtle and hard to detect in the spirit.

                I'd concentrate on the grain bill, and just don't hop it.

                Hmmmm, I've never tried Rogue's whiskey.

                handimun,

                Unlike Ben's yeast differences, hops in the wash give a very pronounced flavor to the spirit. The Germans do it on purpose (or claim that's why they did it, anyway) and call it "bierschnapps".

                Most people don't care for the distilled hops flavor. Oh yeah, Trid loves the stuff, but I suspect he'd drink anything that didn't drink him first, so don't believe anything he says.

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, ben marks <nebskram@...> wrote:

                > what kind of yeast did you use ?
                >

                > i brew beer and i harvest my yeast so i have a bunch of different kinds of ale yeast and in beer yeast makes all the difference in the world would it make that much difference in distilling?
                >
                > i sure would love to distill some dead guy ale as the brewery/distillery for dead guy ale/whiskey uses the same grain bill and dead guy whiskey is real good ...ben

                > ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
                > Some people are like slinkies- not good for anything, But it sure is fun to push them down the stairs
                >

                > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                > From: bigdaddyg851@...
                > Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 13:05:20 +0000
                > Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Beer kits
                >

                > i have made a wonderful single malt whiskey with two cans of malt .i don't know how it would be with the hops however .
                > bigdaddyg
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "handi mun" <pressmun@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have several cans of malt and hop mixes from the "Mister Beer" kits..can these be used for a whiskey run...and how much should I use for a 6 gal wash?

              • billy.turf
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8 3:55 AM
                  I had 50liters of premuim imported beer. It was free and I thought oh what the hey, might as well try it.
                  I can best describe the flavor as stale beer that got left out open warm on the table at a party in one word it was nasty the flavor is indeed very strong hops. I corked it and am letting it age, it has been almost two years now. One day I will have to try it again I read someplace that it gets better with age.

                  > Ben,
                  >
                  > I'm kinda shooting from the hip, here, but having some experience at the kinds of flavors that come through the still, I'd say that any difference in ester profile created by the yeast differences alone would be pretty subtle and hard to detect in the spirit.
                  >
                  > I'd concentrate on the grain bill, and just don't hop it.
                  >
                  > Hmmmm, I've never tried Rogue's whiskey.
                  >
                  > handimun,
                  >
                  > Unlike Ben's yeast differences, hops in the wash give a very pronounced flavor to the spirit. The Germans do it on purpose (or claim that's why they did it, anyway) and call it "bierschnapps".
                  >
                  > Most people don't care for the distilled hops flavor. Oh yeah, Trid loves the stuff, but I suspect he'd drink anything that didn't drink him first, so don't believe anything he says.
                  >
                  > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                • triddlywinks
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8 5:20 PM
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...>
                    > Unlike Ben's yeast differences, hops in the wash give a very pronounced flavor to the spirit. The Germans do it on purpose (or claim that's why they did it, anyway) and call it "bierschnapps".
                    >
                    > Most people don't care for the distilled hops flavor. Oh yeah, Trid loves the stuff, but I suspect he'd drink anything that didn't drink him first, so don't believe anything he says.
                    >
                    > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                    Aw c'mon now...it's really NOT that bad :) At the very least, I'd say give it a try.

                    Trid
                    - didn't drink me first, indeed...
                    *chuckle*
                  • torger_johnson
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 9 6:00 PM
                      To me it tastes a bit like that coriander laden Norwegian drink, Akvavit. An acquired taste, but I liked how mine came out.