Re: Scotch flavours

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 23 , May 4, 2010
      Harry,

      I am working on "scotch" flavoring some of my first neutral spirit. I intend to make your peatreek (message # 15749)for adding the flavor. I secured some heavily toasted oak from my wine supply shop so that should do for the oak part. I am worried about over toasting the peat. I have a camp oven (with temperature indicator). I intend to set it up outside and will toast the tin of peat inside the oven. Can you (or anyone) suggest a proper temperature and time for toasting the tin of peat? I am concerned that if I try to toast it with a torch, I might under toast or over toast it.

      Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

      Tom

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Harry, how exactly do you leach garden peat and what would I be
      > looking for at my garden center? Thanks, Rana
      >

      > What you need is "essence of peatreek" (my name for it, so don't try
      > to find it in a store) :-)
      >
      > (SNIP)
      > You can easily trap these phenols to be used in measurable
      > quantities by making an "essence". Take a handful each of peat and
      > oak shavings, put them in a tin (or 'can' to the Stateside folk).
      > Loosely fit a lid, then flame the tin with a torch for a couple of
      > minutes. This will toast the oak and extract the phenols from the
      > peat which in turn will stick to the toasted oak. DON'T charcoal
      > the oak, just toast it.
      >
      > Leave the lid on, and set the tin aside for a few minutes to cool,
      > as the next step uses high abv alcohol, and you don't want it to
      > catch fire.
      >
      > (SNIP)
      >
      > HTH
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 23 , May 5, 2010
        Tom,

        I'm not sure how it'll work for you, but it's taken multiply tries for me to get the smokiness right. I put the peat and oak shavings (made with a hand plane from barrel staves)in a tin tea box that has had its paint cooked off. I put that in my gas (covered) grill, and lest it run for maybe 2 hours, and it still wasn't as much smoke as I'd like.

        Next time, I'll go for more time, let it cool completely, and test it by nose. Them, if needed, I'll give it more time. Also, maybe it's time for me to try our local "beach peat", a semi-hard compressed peat that comes out from underneath our sand cliffs at the shore.

        Sorry I don't have a simple answer.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@...> wrote:

        > Harry,
        >
        > I am working on "scotch" flavoring some of my first neutral spirit. I intend to make your peatreek (message # 15749)for adding the flavor. I secured some heavily toasted oak from my wine supply shop so that should do for the oak part. I am worried about over toasting the peat. I have a camp oven (with temperature indicator). I intend to set it up outside and will toast the tin of peat inside the oven. Can you (or anyone) suggest a proper temperature and time for toasting the tin of peat? I am concerned that if I try to toast it with a torch, I might under toast or over toast it.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
        >
        > Tom

        ----snip----
      • Tom
        Message 3 of 23 , May 5, 2010
          Z Bob,

          Thanks for the advice. I'm about to try my camp oven. I think I'll just pick a temperature and try for different time intervals. I will report the results.

          Thanks,

          Tom

          > Tom,
          >
          > I'm not sure how it'll work for you, but it's taken multiply tries for me to get the smokiness right. I put the peat and oak shavings (made with a hand plane from barrel staves)in a tin tea box that has had its paint cooked off. I put that in my gas (covered) grill, and lest it run for maybe 2 hours, and it still wasn't as much smoke as I'd like.
          >
          > Next time, I'll go for more time, let it cool completely, and test it by nose. Them, if needed, I'll give it more time. Also, maybe it's time for me to try our local "beach peat", a semi-hard compressed peat that comes out from underneath our sand cliffs at the shore.
          >
          > Sorry I don't have a simple answer.
          >
          > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Harry,
          > >
          > > I am working on "scotch" flavoring some of my first neutral spirit. I intend to make your peatreek (message # 15749)for adding the flavor. I secured some heavily toasted oak from my wine supply shop so that should do for the oak part. I am worried about over toasting the peat. I have a camp oven (with temperature indicator). I intend to set it up outside and will toast the tin of peat inside the oven. Can you (or anyone) suggest a proper temperature and time for toasting the tin of peat? I am concerned that if I try to toast it with a torch, I might under toast or over toast it.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
          > >
          > > Tom

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 23 , May 5, 2010