Re: Recipe missing

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2010

      Hi Ros,

      flux%20Still%20Recipes/Wash%20Recipes/Sugar%20wash%27s/david/turbo.txt

      However, it seems this file and his directory has been deleted.  I tried using the Wayback Machine to find it, but its not there.  Maybe Harry has a trick up his sleeve to retrieve it.

      But before you think about using it if found, I suggest you review some of the thread we are talking about.  David was using some very dangerous chemicals for his nutrients, which I would definitely think twice about using.  If you read up on this thread including: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/25426  He was talking about using KOH as a nutrient which is basically Drain Cleaner!!!!!  Below is some of this posting.

       I believe our current use and recommendations of plant foods for yeast K requirements (potassium) is a hell of alot safer then resorting to drain cleaner....;)  Might have been one of the reasons it was deleted..

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      "Yes, you can substitute KOH, potassium hydroxide, (potash lye)(NOT
      regular sodium lye) which should be locally available as generic
      brand liquid drain cleaner. Please be careful with this stuff. I
      don't know the exact proportions, (a teaspoon per 15L?? depending on
      strength) but it will be similar, probably less??? Check the
      ingredients, there should be no sodium hydroxide and it should be
      nearly clear. For experimenting only, use lab grade KOH if you are
      going to drink it. Remember to adjust the final Ph to about 6.0 with
      citric acid before pitching the yeast. [This is a VERY strong base
      and will soapify your skin on contact.] I have also used potassium
      vitamin supplements but not exclusively and the amount required is so
      great that it won't be inexpensive (they usually come in 99mg pills)
      for large batches. Yeast needs for K are on the order of 4500mg per
      15 liter, that's a lot and is equivalent of one cup normal molasses
      or 1/2 half cup blackstrap molasses. Molasses is loaded with K.

      I must warn you that the acid should be added to the sugar solution
      first and then the potassium. (especially if you already added the
      DAP first by mistake). You can make small adjustments either way when
      the PH is closer to 6PH. Kind of a catch 22 I know.

      I'm sure I will be chastised for suggesting drain cleaner. But it is
      a convenient economical source of K for testing purposes only cause
      we don't know what else may be in it."

      David