Re: Cloudiness? and Carbon Filters

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 30, 2010

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ak_jay.1976"
      > <ak_jay.1976@> wrote:
      > <big snip>
      >
      > > Could my filtering meathod be causing any problems, like the
      > alcohol
      > > sitting inside the column for a long time absorbing PVC from the
      > > column or something? How do other people use their filters? Also,
      > > How long could I expect the activated carbon to be effective before
      > > needing to change it?
      > >
      > > Ok, It's been probably 45 minutes now (I'm a fairly slow typist!)
      > > and I'm not seeing any oily slick whatsoever.
      > >
      > > Any other ideas?
      > >
      > > Jay
      >

      > NEVER USE PVC tubing in contact with high-test alcohol. It's a
      > guaranteed recipe for leaching plasticisers into your product.
      > That's probably what you're seeing. Use copper or stainless tubing
      > instead.
      >
      > Another possible cause is fatty acids, usually from the later part of
      > the run, when cutting too much into the tails. But they can appear
      > even in the hearts at times. Scotch Whisky is notorious for it.
      > They add to the flavour profile.
      >
      > Fatty acids dissolve easily in strong alcohol and/or higher
      > temperatures, but not so much in weaker alcohols at the lower temps
      > (like room temp). So, when you water down below about 50% a/v or
      > leave them stand at lower room temps for a few days, they precipitate
      > (come out of solution) to form solids and appear as little flakes
      > rather like scalp dandruff.
      >
      > Testing for fatty acids in newmake (white dog) is easy. Put a jar of
      > high-test alcohol in the freezer overnight and look at it next
      > morning. If you see white flaky material, that's fatty acids. It's
      > up to you if you want to remove them or not. Chill filtering is the
      > answer for this one: Chill your spirit to 2°C and run it through a 5
      > micron wine filter. This is what some of the commercial boys do. It
      > gives a sparkling clear product, but many Scotch afficionados (me
      > included) prefer the spirit to be un-chill-filtered (some single
      > malts are) for a richer Scotch experience.
      >

      > HTH
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      I agree with Harry,
      some "protein flake" may occur in good Whisky and adds to the ambience LOL
      If you dispense from a small shelf cask it just collects on the bottom and is not a problem - but for round table sessions first pour the whisky into your best Crystal Decanter and then fill the glasses from that after all that is purpose of the decanter again adding to the ambience :-)