Re: Sweet 'n' Sour

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2010
      Hey Mad Hatter,

      First off, congrats on all the successful MUM washes. That should fix you up with a lot of nice clean neutral, and it's so darned easy. It also sounds like you are working to match fermenter size to still capacity, a really smart thing to do.

      While I've never done a UJSSM mash, your approach of stripping enough "beer" to get a stillful of low wines for a spirit run is what I do for my grain whiskeys, and as you mention, my MUM washes as well. While I sometimes wish for heavier grain flavor for my whiskeys, one beerstrip and one spirit run gives me fine spirit.

      It's true that Clear Creek in Portland OR makes an excellent single-run Scotch (not common for Scotch), but I'll stick with my 2X whisk(e)ys.

      Keep up the good work!

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller