Re: Fermentation Times (as related to rums, whiskeys and hydrometers)

  • ontherocks100proof
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 22, 2010
      Yes I believe my previous problems were due to lack of ox in my wash prior to pitching and low temps. 60-65 degree F temps in MN spring. This batch was properly aerated and the temp has risen into the 70s. I am seeing a much larger yeast volumn from the get go which should help with getting my ferment finished. My last ferment stalled with about 3% more alc to go after two weeks and when I distilled it 3x it still had an off flavor.

      I was following instructions closely but did not have the knowlege neccesary to make adjustments for my circumstances.

      There is an old saying.

      A stupid man does not learn from his mistakes.

      A smart man learns from his mistakes.

      A wise man learns from other peoples mistakes.

      I am hoping to border on smart/wise.

      Thanks again all.

      Rocks

      > Rocks,
      >
      > Dont worry about the yeast "autolizing", this is usually done with salt
      > for yeast extract. Yeast can stay dormant in trub for several weeks,
      > even longer if refrigerated.
      >
      > Again, use your hydrometer to tell when it goes below 1.000 SG or watch
      > the bubbles to become larger and taste it.
      >
      > It should be completely fermented and clear within a week or so for your
      > first batch.
      >
      > JB.

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ontherocks100proof"
      > <ontherocks100proof@> wrote:
      > >
      > > As a new fermentor/distiller I am a bit confused. On the one hand I
      > hear Jim saying that you should be patient and wait until your
      > fermentation is done but on the other hand I have heard that if you let
      > things go too long your yeast will autolize. If the yeast autolize you
      > are in for some nasty tasting hooch.
      > >
      > > I have read the article that Jim pointed me to in another post. It
      > seems that it is mostly beer related but, ox levels, temp, ph, sg,
      > amount of yeast that you pitch all come into play.
      > >
      > > So what do you do if your ferment does not finish? If you repitch is
      > there a chance your yeast from the first pitch will autolize?
      > >
      > > I am currently fermenting a jem wash that seems to be going much
      > better than my previous efforts. After 3 days there is a probably an
      > inch of trub at the bottom of my 5 gallon carboy. I stirred it for the
      > first 3 days. How long should I let it sit before I risk killing off the
      > yeast? I am more intersted in building up a large trub to speed up my
      > future ferments than this particular batch. I only used enough sugar to
      > hit 15% ABV on this "starter" batch.
      > >
      > > Thx in advance,
      > >
      > > Rocks

    • just me
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 22, 2010
        hi cousin harry,
        i was checking out my family tree and found a direct link to your great great grandfather. does this qualify me for a booze handout? i eagerly await your reply cousin.

        your cousin
        just me
         No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However
        a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

        On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

        > LOL,
        >
        > Considering all this .. ( sitting and waiting for myn to end propelly )
        > I still cant wait and im doing it for a while.
        >
        > So patiance is the key to succes.. even if it is the worst thing to do. Sitting .. and waiting . ( yhawn )
        >
        > Greetz
        >
        > JD

        Simple remedy...more fermenters.

        Stagger-started 'em so that one is ready to do about every 2-3 days, or whenever you have spare weekends. After a few weeks you'll be swimming in booze, then clean all the gear up and store it for a spell.

        When you're down to your last 2-3 gallons of booze (or when the 'itch' starts), start up again. I only produce twice a year these days. I've got 3 x 60lt fermenters to play with. I can't drink that much so there's plenty for the free-loaders (rellies). :)

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 22, 2010
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, just me <hifa222@...> wrote:

          > hi cousin harry,
          > i was checking out my family tree and found a direct link to your great
          > great grandfather. does this qualify me for a booze handout? i eagerly await
          > your reply cousin.
          >
          > your cousin
          > just me

          Interesting. Which side? What name?

        • just me
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 23, 2010
            whichever side and whatever name gets the booze of course.lol.
            thanks harry for all of the advice over the years.