Re: Rum help

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2010
      Yes Just,

      Letting it sit for a week or so is fine, well within the safety range as
      long as it is not exposed to air. A week or so to ferment along with a
      couple of days to clear is well within reason.

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "justasip1" <justasip1@...>
      wrote:

      > I purchased 3 gallons of cane molasses, added 11 gallons of water to
      drop the Brix to 22.5, adjusted pH to 4.5 with citric acid, added some
      Fermaid, aerated, rehydrated and pitched yeast. Fermenation has begun.

      > I have a two day unscheduled trip next Tuesday and Wednesday. From my
      reading it appears rum beer can be susceptible to spoilage and it is
      advised to distill ASAP. As making rum is new to me, does anyone have an
      idea of how long it may take to fully ferment? I used Lalvin EC 1118,
      made a good starter and allowed the yeast starter to acclimatize to the
      72 degree-ish F wert temperature. Present fermentation is good but not
      vigorous and temperature is maintained at 74F. If it ferments in four
      plus days, I will be able to distill before my trip. If not, will I be
      OK if I just let it sit with the CO2 blanket under my airlock for days 6
      and 7?