Re: reflux to pot still

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2010
      Well, Rocky, I've had one of these since last fall, I really like the way it compresses heads.
      Ran neutral at first but switched to trying flavored sugar washes ( corn flakes, all-bran and rye malt).
      I run it with one roll of copper mesh at the reflux ring. I start with the water setup as normal until I pull all the foreshots and heads. Then I pull the hoses from the reflux ring and run water to the liebig only. There is still some reflux going on, as I can hear the distillate dripping back into the boiler. If you run the water in thru the bottom and out the top of the liebig, it runs on a bare trickle.
      After oaking, I get a smooth, high-test, but very light tasting whiskey as I have not yet given up the sugar. Am about ready to try a no-sugar run. Unfortunately, I have no cheap access to distiller's grains except corn. I buy rye malt from brew shop(US$2 per pound crushed, 125 mile round trip) so all-grain will be a lot more expensive!
      Anyway, this still is too tall to be a true pot still. But you can single-run your likker and still get plenty of proof at the expense of flavor. Mile-Hi now makes a shorter version of this same head which I would like to try but I may just buy a regular pot still head.
      thanx,
      troutscout