Re:Invert sugar

  • edbar44
    Message 1 of 67 , Apr 9, 2010
      Still digesting some of this info and came upon the discussion of HFCS and am wondering if that is an option since I believe it is 50+ % fructose and the balance is glucose which seems to be what inverted sugar is anyway. Am I on the right track or should I stick with the cane sugar?

      > Ed,
      >
      > Maybe we are missing something here. Cane sugar (sucrose) is a
      > disaccaride made up of 1 molecule of glucose and 1 molecule of fructose.
      > When you invert sucrose, you create glucose and fructose monosaccaride
      > sugars that the yeast can readily ferment.
      >
      > Your glucose (which is also called dextrose - they use the terms
      > interchangably) is the same as cane sugar without the fuctose molucule.
    • edbar44
      Message 67 of 67 , Apr 18, 2010
        Found this from a sugar distributor, any comments?

        Invert Sugar is the result of inversion (hydrolysis) of sucrose, that is, the splitting of sucrose molecules into their dextrose and fructose components. The degree of inversion can range from slight to great, depending upon the amount of heat, acid or enzyme applied. "Medium Invert" means half of the sucrose molecules present have been split into their fructose/dextrose components, and the remaining half is undisturbed sucrose molecules. "Total Invert" means all of the sucrose molecules have been split into their fructose and dextrose components, with consequently no sucrose remaining. Both medium and total invert syrups are commercially available.

        Not sure what it costs but will know tomorrow?