“The Trub Creature from the Blue Lagoon”

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2010
      Hi Mason or Jim,
           I was just checking out my fermenting gear in the garage (that time of year) and I found that I hadn't cleaned out one of the mum wash 5 gallon tubs, because I could hear it merrily bubbling away about once every 5 minutes from my mum wash in August last year.  I haven't even opened it yet. But I'm going to shortly.
           HWMBO put it on the top shelf (out of wheelchair reach) in a "tidy up the garage moment" and this simple act by the little cherub effectively hid everything in the way only the wee darlings  can do in their bid to clean. (I feel like Columbus on a voyage of discovery in my own flaming garage)
      Anyway we've had a particularly cold winter here in the South of France (-15C to -20C at times) and the ambient outside spring temperature is now starting to rise fast hence the dormant trub re-awakening.  I have no problem chucking out the Trub and cleaning out the fermenter, when I eventually get at the bubbling fermenter tub will I need a 12 bore cocked and loaded at the ready to kill whatever "Trub Creature from the Blue Lagoon" that emerges?>:)  Or would it still be useable?
      Geoff
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2010
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mason or Jim,
        > I was just checking out my fermenting gear in the garage (that time
        > of year) and I found that I hadn't cleaned out one of the mum wash 5
        > gallon tubs, because I could hear it merrily bubbling away about once
        > every 5 minutes from my mum wash in August last year. I haven't
        > even opened it yet. But I'm going to shortly.
        > HWMBO put it on the top shelf (out of wheelchair reach) in a
        > "tidy up the garage moment" and this simple act by the little
        > cherub effectively hid everything in the way only the wee darlings can
        > do in their bid to clean. (I feel like Columbus on a voyage of discovery
        > in my own flaming garage)
        > Anyway we've had a particularly cold winter here in the South of
        > France (-15C to -20C at times) and the ambient outside spring
        > temperature is now starting to rise fast hence the dormant trub
        > re-awakening. I have no problem chucking out the Trub and cleaning out
        > the fermenter, when I eventually get at the bubbling fermenter tub will
        > I need a 12 bore cocked and loaded at the ready to kill whatever
        > "Trub Creature from the Blue Lagoon" that emerges? [>:)] Or
        > would it still be useable?
        > Geoff

        Sounds like you had it air locked so I wouldnt be surprised if it is still good. Really only one way to tell though. You're gonna have to remove that air lock, sneak up on it and get you a whiff of it. If it still smells pleasant then I wouldnt have a problem using it. If it damn near makes you puke then your gonna have to break out the Bleach and scrub brush.
        After my Motorcycle accident I had some trub in one of my fermenters(5 Gallon) that only had a lid sitting on it. It sat for at least three months and seemed fine but then I walked into the house one day after work and that trub creature had for certain reared its Stinky head. All I did was rinse it out really good, then filled it with water, added a cup of bleach and let it sit for 30 minutes. Washed it out with Soap and fresh water and started a new batch that night.

        Mason