Re: Insulation, Also See Message 37917

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4 5:33 PM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@...> wrote:

      > To Ric or Others Who Have Experiance With His Design,
      >
      > I have almost finished my LM/VM adsign per the sketch in Ric's photo album in Distillers Group. I need advice on which portions to insulate. My boiler is well insulated. It is SS with 1,000 watt and 2,000 watt heating elements. I can use the elements together or separately, in parallel or series. I can get 677 watts, 1,000 watts, 2,000 watta, or 3,000 watts. My reflux column is 2" copper x 64" long, the section with the angled plates, thermometer, and LM amd VM take off is 2" copper X 11" long. The shotgun condenser is 2" copper x 13" long with 21 tubes. The VM path is 1" copper through a 1" gate valve to a Lieberg condenser.
      >
      > How much of the upper end of the assembly needs to be insulated? I intend to insulate the 64" reflux column. Should I insulate any of the 11" angled plate section? What about the tee and the 1" gate valve.
      >
      > Once I get answers to these questions, I will be ready for a shake-down run!
      >
      > Thanks to all for advice and for the wealth of knowkedge displayed in this group.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Tom

      Insulate to the full length of the packing. After that, any heat losses will help (not hurt) your refluxing and/or product condensing.

      It's not difficult to figure out Tom. Insulation prevents heat loss. Un-insulated areas will lose heat and the vapors will liquefy. The packed column is the critical area. It is the reaction chamber. It must be insulated from heat loss, to provide a stable environment for vapor/liquid co-mingling and separation.

    • Tom Hawk
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5 4:17 AM
        Harry,

        Thanks.  That's what I thought I needed to do.  I was just concerned that there might be something going on in the slanted plate section that I did not understand.  My original intent was to insulate the boiler and the column to the top of ther packing.  I'll proceed in that manner.

        Thanks!

        Tom