Re: Distillation of a stuck Jem wash

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" <jensor4@...> wrote:

      > I have a stuck ferment of a third generation of JEM (22 liters). I've tried unsuccessfully to get it going.
      >
      > Start SG was 1.85. Current SG 1.020. I believe the pH got too low is what stopped it. After readjusting from pH from 3.2 to 5.2 (with calcium carbonate) I tried to restart by making a yeast culture and every 6 hours doubling the volume by adding the stuck must to it and here it is 3 days later just doing nothing. Even added a bit of Fermaid. Used a magnetic agitator also.
      >
      > I am thinking that the approach now is to salvage what ethanol I can out of it by doing a strip.
      >
      > Will it foam eccessively? I suppose keeping the heat down and doing a slow strip would minimize foaming.
      >
      > What would be a reasonable SG level under which one should go ahead and distill a stuck ferment if it refuses to start?
      >
      > rosnekcaj

      I had a wash back a couple years ago similar to this. After 6 weeks of fermenting it was still only 1.020sg. So I just stripped it. Came out fine. This was before I started using internal elements. Cant say whether or not Internal elements would give a burnt flavor.
      Just run it slow to keep the foaming down. I have read where pure molasses washes rarely ferment below 1.020 so you should be fine.

      Mason