Re: Distillation of a stuck Jem wash

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
      There could be many factors here Ros. I would just distill it as is -
      dont worry about foaming or anything. Never had this happen to me but
      trying to restart a fermentation with a new starter at that low an SG is
      pretty hard. If anything I would have added some more sugar along with
      the nutrients. Below around a 1.040 or so is tough to restart. Taste
      it and check you hydrometer in plain water to make sure it registers
      correctly.

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" <jensor4@...> wrote:

      > I have a stuck ferment of a third generation of JEM (22 liters). I've
      tried unsuccessfully to get it going.

      > Start SG was 1.85. Current SG 1.020. I believe the pH got too low is
      what stopped it. After readjusting from pH from 3.2 to 5.2 (with calcium
      carbonate) I tried to restart by making a yeast culture and every 6
      hours doubling the volume by adding the stuck must to it and here it is
      3 days later just doing nothing. Even added a bit of Fermaid. Used a
      magnetic agitator also.

      > I am thinking that the approach now is to salvage what ethanol I can
      out of it by doing a strip.

      > Will it foam eccessively? I suppose keeping the heat down and doing a
      slow strip would minimize foaming.

      > What would be a reasonable SG level under which one should go ahead
      and distill a stuck ferment if it refuses to start?

      > rosnekcaj

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" <jensor4@...> wrote:

        > I have a stuck ferment of a third generation of JEM (22 liters). I've tried unsuccessfully to get it going.
        >
        > Start SG was 1.85. Current SG 1.020. I believe the pH got too low is what stopped it. After readjusting from pH from 3.2 to 5.2 (with calcium carbonate) I tried to restart by making a yeast culture and every 6 hours doubling the volume by adding the stuck must to it and here it is 3 days later just doing nothing. Even added a bit of Fermaid. Used a magnetic agitator also.
        >
        > I am thinking that the approach now is to salvage what ethanol I can out of it by doing a strip.
        >
        > Will it foam eccessively? I suppose keeping the heat down and doing a slow strip would minimize foaming.
        >
        > What would be a reasonable SG level under which one should go ahead and distill a stuck ferment if it refuses to start?
        >
        > rosnekcaj

        I had a wash back a couple years ago similar to this. After 6 weeks of fermenting it was still only 1.020sg. So I just stripped it. Came out fine. This was before I started using internal elements. Cant say whether or not Internal elements would give a burnt flavor.
        Just run it slow to keep the foaming down. I have read where pure molasses washes rarely ferment below 1.020 so you should be fine.

        Mason