Re: Storing backset.

  • JD
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
      Uhm .. the backset is allready heated by the still,
      then putt in preheated jars.

      The lees is filterd from the grains and stored in a other jelly jars in the fridge, before its stilled.
      If the yeast dies in the mean while, im not so worried, i can always use a new pack so to say.

      Its the backset wich i need to reuse later instead of starting with a new sweet mash, With whole grains you can pour in the grains and malt and add water to about 60°C to mash it up again. Its saves cooking time since its cooked allready.

      JD

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" <jensor4@...> wrote:
      I would worry about killing the yeast that you wish to preserve if you heat the backset to enable a vacuum seal when jarring.

      Rosnekcaj
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
        JD,

        Just stick you backset in a clean gallon plastic milk jug or water jug
        and freeze it or stick it in the refrig if ya have any space. I just
        stick mine outside in the non summer months and its fine for quite a
        while.

        JB.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

        > Oh shoot,
        >
        > I normally have about 15 glass vegetable jars with vacuum lids to
        store my backset in, i put it in hot and then close them and put it on
        the shelf, were it can cool and vacuum it self and stays there till i
        need it again. Then clean the jars again with hot water and soda
        crystal.
        > ( looks like home canning, but it works great for 2 ore 3 gallons,
        last backset whas from a year ago and still smelled fresh )

        > But now...
        > My hunny tossed all the jars in the recycling box, and i whas to late.
        >
        > So i hope maybe anyone of you have other idea's ore other way's.
        > Could i putt it in a glas fermenter and bung it with a airlock and oil
        ?

        > Cause i dont collect 15 of those jars within a week ore two :S
        > (toke me a year ore so, we mostly eat fresh from the backyard)
        >
        > "you know your a shiner when.... you can tell by the sounds of the
        airlock how long it still needs, And you start looking for them storing
        jars allready "

        > Greetz
        >
        > JD

      • JD
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
          Ok thats an greater idea,

          So the kids need a lot of milk this week :D

          Thanks,

          JD

          > JD,
          >
          > Just stick you backset in a clean gallon plastic milk jug or water jug
          > and freeze it or stick it in the refrig if ya have any space. I just
          > stick mine outside in the non summer months and its fine for quite a
          > while.
          >
          > JB.

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
            jeandenis,

            It sounds like you have more of a honey problem than a storage problem. Write a 15-page treatise on use of the rear-view mirror while backing up (reversing, for those who need it) and tape this to your jars of backset. If your honey is like my honey, the resulting repulsive field will keep you backset safe forever.

            (Peggy, if you're still reading this, remember it's April 1!)

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            ----snip----
            > Greetz
            >
            > JD

          • JD
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
              I dont know,

              I had putt the jars in a box. and cleaned them.

              Now only once ore twice a month the recycling comes by and collects glas and cans.

              maybe by mistake , ore maybe just thoughtless.
              Though she feld quilty, and bought me a good bottle of wine, and a red plastic storing box to putt them in. ( lid well explanatory )

              Greetz

              JD

              > jeandenis,
              >
              > It sounds like you have more of a honey problem than a storage problem. Write a 15-page treatise on use of the rear-view mirror while backing up (reversing, for those who need it) and tape this to your jars of backset. If your honey is like my honey, the resulting repulsive field will keep you backset safe forever.
              >
              > (Peggy, if you're still reading this, remember it's April 1!)
              >
              > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Oh shoot,
              > >
              > > I normally have about 15 glass vegetable jars with vacuum lids to store my backset in, i put it in hot and then close them and put it on the shelf, were it can cool and vacuum it self and stays there till i need it again. Then clean the jars again with hot water and soda crystal.
              > > ( looks like home canning, but it works great for 2 ore 3 gallons, last backset whas from a year ago and still smelled fresh )
              > >
              > > But now...
              > > My hunny tossed all the jars in the recycling box, and i whas to late.
              > >
              > ----snip----
              > > Greetz
              > >
              > > JD

            • Geoff
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
                Heck, kiss and make up!

                The Baker

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                > I dont know,
                >
                > I had putt the jars in a box. and cleaned them.
                >
                > Now only once ore twice a month the recycling comes by and collects glas and cans.
                >
                > maybe by mistake , ore maybe just thoughtless.
                > Though she feld quilty, and bought me a good bottle of wine, and a red plastic storing box to putt them in. ( lid well explanatory )
                >
                > Greetz
                >
                > JD
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@> wrote:
                > >
                > > jeandenis,
                > >
                > > It sounds like you have more of a honey problem than a storage problem. Write a 15-page treatise on use of the rear-view mirror while backing up (reversing, for those who need it) and tape this to your jars of backset. If your honey is like my honey, the resulting repulsive field will keep you backset safe forever.
                > >
                > > (Peggy, if you're still reading this, remember it's April 1!)
                > >
                > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                > >
                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Oh shoot,
                > > >
                > > > I normally have about 15 glass vegetable jars with vacuum lids to store my backset in, i put it in hot and then close them and put it on the shelf, were it can cool and vacuum it self and stays there till i need it again. Then clean the jars again with hot water and soda crystal.
                > > > ( looks like home canning, but it works great for 2 ore 3 gallons, last backset whas from a year ago and still smelled fresh )
                > > >
                > > > But now...
                > > > My hunny tossed all the jars in the recycling box, and i whas to late.

                > > > Greetz
                > > >
                > > > JD

              • JD
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
                  Yeah we did ;D

                  im glad and happy with her.
                  So i have to freeze the next, if i dont have ingredients before i run this batch.

                  Greetz

                  JD