Distillation of a stuck Jem wash

  • rosnekcaj
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
      I have a stuck ferment of a third generation of JEM (22 liters). I've tried unsuccessfully to get it going.

      Start SG was 1.85. Current SG 1.020. I believe the pH got too low is what stopped it. After readjusting from pH from 3.2 to 5.2 (with calcium carbonate) I tried to restart by making a yeast culture and every 6 hours doubling the volume by adding the stuck must to it and here it is 3 days later just doing nothing. Even added a bit of Fermaid. Used a magnetic agitator also.

      I am thinking that the approach now is to salvage what ethanol I can out of it by doing a strip.

      Will it foam eccessively? I suppose keeping the heat down and doing a slow strip would minimize foaming.

      What would be a reasonable SG level under which one should go ahead and distill a stuck ferment if it refuses to start?

      rosnekcaj
    • JD
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
        Had it once and stripped it.

        you could try and freeze it and let the alcohol dew from it.

        Either way it will settle, ore you could filter most from it in an other fermenter and repitch it. ( usaly not for above 6% ) ore let it settle

        >"Will it foam eccessively? I suppose keeping the heat down and doing a slow strip would minimize foaming."

        Maybe yes if you leave the lees in it, it will.

        > What would be a reasonable SG level under which one should go ahead and distill a stuck ferment if it refuses to start?

        none ore any, so to say.
        You can possible risk the smell of burnt sugar.

        After all its al experimenting.

        I ran it slow and most alcohol can out.
        I couldnt resist trying to add sugar, water and yeast.

        went well smelled .. uhm sugary

        JD
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
          There could be many factors here Ros. I would just distill it as is -
          dont worry about foaming or anything. Never had this happen to me but
          trying to restart a fermentation with a new starter at that low an SG is
          pretty hard. If anything I would have added some more sugar along with
          the nutrients. Below around a 1.040 or so is tough to restart. Taste
          it and check you hydrometer in plain water to make sure it registers
          correctly.

          JB.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" <jensor4@...> wrote:

          > I have a stuck ferment of a third generation of JEM (22 liters). I've
          tried unsuccessfully to get it going.

          > Start SG was 1.85. Current SG 1.020. I believe the pH got too low is
          what stopped it. After readjusting from pH from 3.2 to 5.2 (with calcium
          carbonate) I tried to restart by making a yeast culture and every 6
          hours doubling the volume by adding the stuck must to it and here it is
          3 days later just doing nothing. Even added a bit of Fermaid. Used a
          magnetic agitator also.

          > I am thinking that the approach now is to salvage what ethanol I can
          out of it by doing a strip.

          > Will it foam eccessively? I suppose keeping the heat down and doing a
          slow strip would minimize foaming.

          > What would be a reasonable SG level under which one should go ahead
          and distill a stuck ferment if it refuses to start?

          > rosnekcaj

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" <jensor4@...> wrote:

            > I have a stuck ferment of a third generation of JEM (22 liters). I've tried unsuccessfully to get it going.
            >
            > Start SG was 1.85. Current SG 1.020. I believe the pH got too low is what stopped it. After readjusting from pH from 3.2 to 5.2 (with calcium carbonate) I tried to restart by making a yeast culture and every 6 hours doubling the volume by adding the stuck must to it and here it is 3 days later just doing nothing. Even added a bit of Fermaid. Used a magnetic agitator also.
            >
            > I am thinking that the approach now is to salvage what ethanol I can out of it by doing a strip.
            >
            > Will it foam eccessively? I suppose keeping the heat down and doing a slow strip would minimize foaming.
            >
            > What would be a reasonable SG level under which one should go ahead and distill a stuck ferment if it refuses to start?
            >
            > rosnekcaj

            I had a wash back a couple years ago similar to this. After 6 weeks of fermenting it was still only 1.020sg. So I just stripped it. Came out fine. This was before I started using internal elements. Cant say whether or not Internal elements would give a burnt flavor.
            Just run it slow to keep the foaming down. I have read where pure molasses washes rarely ferment below 1.020 so you should be fine.

            Mason