Re: [new_distillers] Re: mum wash

  • greg smith
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2010
      It sounds like u have a cm head, which is probably one of the poorest types of heads to have regardless of what ur doing.  If your main aim is to produce neutral product with as little flavor as possible, in conjunction with the highest possible alcolhol content then a good reflux still is the best choice.  I would recommend an ez to build bokabob mini or something based on that plan.  If you are looking to make spirits with flaovoer, i.e. whiskies, brandies, and rums then your best choice is a pot still.

      If I could only have one still it would be a potstill.  It is much faster in stripping runs and allows flavor to come through and if it is run right you can get withing 10 or 15 points of what a reflux still will do in terms of purity on your second run.

      But why not both?  Potstill can be so simple and ez to make and a bokabob mini is fairly ez to construct with few parts go for both.  Use the potstill on stripping runs and for spirit runs for flavored spirits.  Use the reflux to finish neutral spirit runs with highest possible alcohol content.