Re: Successful JEM wash???

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 22, 2010
      Darin,
      To put into perspective what Pint was saying. The JEM wash uses 12 pounds of Sugar for a 5 gallon wash. That comes to around 16% POTENTIAL alcohol in the wash. Pint calculates that it could take up to 12 days to finish out.
      Then Pint goes on to say that he does 3 washes, probably only using 8 lbs of sugar each. Each one ferments in 3 days for a total of 24lbs of sugar in 9 days. So by fermenting at lower gravities he is able to ferment twice the sugar in the same or less time.

      Mason

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Darin C" <wired_wiz@...> wrote:

      > I want to win too! And I really like this idea. Pint, does the yeast / unfermented sugar cause any problems? Cleaning the boiler or taste in the product? Do you clear the wash at all or just rack off the best you can?
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pint_o_shine" <pintoshine@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I for one hate to ferment and love to distill.
      > >
      > > My plan is usually to have a gravity no more than 1.080
      > > This will ferment to a good 9 to 10% in three days. Then I get to distill it.
      > > Then I do two more rounds stripping each of the three round to about 45% alcohol.
      > > Then I do a spirit run or column distill it and make great alcohol every time.
      > >
      > > So here is the logistics. 1.120 gravity 9 to 12 days to finish if it will. yield 16%
      > >
      > > So it is like this I do three ferments and get a total of 30% alcohol in the same time most could get 16%. I win!
      > > Since there is never any alcohol stress either from hydrophilic action of the sugar or the alcohol(sucking the moisture out of the yeast), happy yeast making clean alcohol.

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 22, 2010