Re: Brand New to this great hobby!

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2010

      > Steelheader Obviously someone near the Cascades)
      >
      > Try this fr making the cuts by taste, as temperature has too many variables.

      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple epotstiller
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "steelheader26" <wlawson25@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello good people. I recently designed and built an alemic pot still, and a couple of weeks ago I had run just water through it and it seemed to work fine. Now I have been experimenting with different washes and have come up with some real decent wort 12.5% alc. Now through my research I have learned that the "good spirit" comes off at 79-86 deg.C.Now my problem is that production at these temps. are extremely slow and between 86 and 92deg.C is very good and clear with good taste. I am not seeing any fusel oils floating or any impurities. Now I need to know if it is ok to continue collecting at this range. Any and all suggestions are welcome as I am very new to this hobby. The particulars of this craft are endless.By the way I am trying to make a successful moonshine for starters. I am very handy with my hands so if you all feel that I should modify my still please say so! I am also including photos of still, remember this is preliminary!

      In addition to Z Bobs reading assignment you should consider this as well. You are making the assumption that YOU can control the temperature. This is not how it works. You can however control the flow of the output by controlling the amount of heat that you put to the boiler. Ethanol boils near 172F but as the etho boils off the ratio of etho to water shifts and the temperature has no choice but to rise toward the boiling point of water. Theres more to it than that but thats the basic point. I also dont hear you mention doing a stripping run. You need to double run your booze. You will get better, cleaner, safer product that will keep you from getting discouraged. Welcome to the group.

      Mason Jar Dixon
      Moderator