Re: Successful JEM wash???

  • bigdaddyg851
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 12, 2010
      (pushing washes and its yeast to the upper limits.) all thats meant by that is 12lbs of sugar in a five gallon wash should produce a 16% wash after fermentation. were if you used 10lbs of sugar to produce 14% wash your not working the yeast as hard and according to some produces better flavor in the end result.
      bigdaddyg

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@...> wrote:

      > One last question:
      >
      > Mason mentioned that
      > " I continue to be puzzled at folks pushing these washes and its yeast to the upper limits. "
      >
      > From that stament I gleaned that in Mason's opinion, I was overtaxing the yeast in my 10 gallon JEM wash.
      >
      > I was very careful to weigh the sugar so that my wash was exactly double the volume and content of the 5 gallon wash. I piched double the specified amount yeast and added double the amount of Red Bull and miracle-gro.
      >
      > In my 10 gallon wash,the ratios of sugar to water, red bull to wash and miracle grow to wash were exactly equal to the same parameters in a 5 gallon wash.
      >
      > If my 10 gallon wash overtaxed the yeast then the 5 gallon wash did also.
      >
      > I have equipment and resources to process 10 gallon washes. Is there something wrong with doubling a 5 gallon wash to accomodate my 10 gallon wash equipment?

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 22, 2010
        Darin,
        To put into perspective what Pint was saying. The JEM wash uses 12 pounds of Sugar for a 5 gallon wash. That comes to around 16% POTENTIAL alcohol in the wash. Pint calculates that it could take up to 12 days to finish out.
        Then Pint goes on to say that he does 3 washes, probably only using 8 lbs of sugar each. Each one ferments in 3 days for a total of 24lbs of sugar in 9 days. So by fermenting at lower gravities he is able to ferment twice the sugar in the same or less time.

        Mason