pH to acid percentage

  • rosnekcaj
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2010
      I've seen discussions on the desired acidity of musts.
      But I have not been able to find how one converts from one measure to the other.
      If the ideal pH should be say 5.0 what should a titration test show in percent acid?

      rosnekacj
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2010
        Rosneckacj,

        Unfortunately, there is no direct conversion from pH to total acidity, *unless you know exactly what acid you are testing for*. The reason is this: pH measures how much acid is "active" or ionized to the H3O+ ion, while total acidity measures all of a potentially acidic compound in the solution, whether or not any of it is ionized.

        Winemakers do take a shortcut to the math and do a kind of pH-TA conversion, but it's based on the assumption that all the acid compound is tartaric acid, which can be a leap of faith.

        Titration kits are fairly cheap and readily available at US homebrew/winemaking suppliers. pH strips are kinda like measuring the thickness of a hair with a yardstick.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" <jensor4@...> wrote:

        > I've seen discussions on the desired acidity of musts.
        > But I have not been able to find how one converts from one measure to the other.
        > If the ideal pH should be say 5.0 what should a titration test show in percent acid?
        >
        > rosnekacj

      • rosnekcaj
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2010
          In lieu of pH strips, how about a digital pH tester like this:

          http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-pH-TESTER-PEN-Test-pH-levels-Pools-Spa-pH600_W0QQitemZ170456768110QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27b003de6e

          At least it claims better resolution.

          rosnekcaj

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2010
            Although I don't have that particular model, I see no reason it shouldn't work. Here's the one I use. It has some nice features, like a replaceable probe.

            http://store.homebrewheaven.com/digital-ph-meter-p333.aspx

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstillewr