First Posting - Need Help with Cost Information

  • Mark H
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2010
      Hi,

      I am new to distilling and wish to start a small ethanol / biodiesel
      business (200-300,000 gpy goal). I have been
      studying the process for a year (started with Blume's book) and have
      purchased my first still and am in the process
      of getting my permit. My local fire department / township are not
      cooperating on obtaining the permit. Time for
      some politicking.

      In order to move past my pilot 3" column system and shortly my 8" column
      system, I need to put together a business
      plan to obtain financing from the bank (if they will lend any money). I
      have experience fabricating metal and
      building plants, but need help on operating costs of the distillation
      process. I do not have any issues determining
      the feedstock (thinking of converting our 400 ac. farm over to
      cattails), labor and machinery costs, but need help with enzymes,
      chemical, disposal, water removal, etc. costs and sources. Also, and
      most importantly, after we have the ethanol, how do we market? I see a
      lot of information on marketing ethanol for large plants on the
      internet, but
      they all talk about XX mgpy. What options are available to the small
      producer to market the product?

      I'm not sure this is the right forum for these questions. If not, could
      you lead me to the right one.

      Thanks,

      Mark
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2010
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mark H <mwhilde@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am new to distilling and wish to start a small ethanol / biodiesel
        > business (200-300,000 gpy goal). I have been
        > studying the process for a year (started with Blume's book) and have
        > purchased my first still and am in the process
        > of getting my permit. My local fire department / township are not
        > cooperating on obtaining the permit. Time for
        > some politicking.
        >
        > In order to move past my pilot 3" column system and shortly my 8" column
        > system, I need to put together a business
        > plan to obtain financing from the bank (if they will lend any money). I
        > have experience fabricating metal and
        > building plants, but need help on operating costs of the distillation
        > process. I do not have any issues determining
        > the feedstock (thinking of converting our 400 ac. farm over to
        > cattails), labor and machinery costs, but need help with enzymes,
        > chemical, disposal, water removal, etc. costs and sources. Also, and
        > most importantly, after we have the ethanol, how do we market? I see a
        > lot of information on marketing ethanol for large plants on the
        > internet, but
        > they all talk about XX mgpy. What options are available to the small
        > producer to market the product?
        >
        > I'm not sure this is the right forum for these questions. If not, could
        > you lead me to the right one.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Mark

        Hello Mark,
        We are a bunch of Hobby distillers for Drinking purposes and nowhere near the scale you are talking about. You should take a look at the Yahoo alcohol fuel group
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alcoholfuel/
        and Journey to forever
        http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol.html

        Mason Jar Dixon