Tip From Geoff - Re: Crossflow Question

  • rosnekcaj
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
      Hey - Geat idea! But I believe that a countersink would work much better than an over size drill to slightly bevel the edge of the end plate holes.

      rosnekcaj

      > Hi fellow constructors,
      >
      > While making Harry's cross flow head here's a little tip that can help
      > position and hold all the pipes in the plate with a certain amount of
      > stiffness and rigidity before you start to solder your cooling pipes.
      >
      > Drill your holes in the plate as per the plan to suit the cooling
      > pipes sizes. Now with an oversize drill bit, counter sink the holes in
      > the plates being careful not to drill right through. Now position and
      > rigidly support the other bottom end of the cooling pipe (in preparation
      > for punching them). Keep the cooling pipe slightly proud of the plate
      > and with a big round countersink punch flare/swag the pipe end out on to
      > the countersink in the plate.
      >
      > This makes for a very tight slightly proud fit of the pipe in the
      > plate. The more firm you punch it the tighter the fit the better and
      > the stronger the solder joint will be. With the pipe being slightly
      > proud it will let's the solder pool and thicken around the pipe end
      > where it protrudes through on the plate.
      >
      > See diagram below
      >
      > Geoff
      >
      > [Crossflow Tip]

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
        Hey Waldo and/or Geoff,

        This is a great and useful technique. Its what I used to hold the "water-cooled baffles" in my liebig (prior to soldering). These were 1/4 crosstubes through the 1/2" pipe of the vapor path. While I thought it a bit of a pain at the time, subsequent experiments have shown the crosstube liebig to produce lots more cooling than a similar but longer non-baffled liebig.

        Just another datum.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        > Hi fellow constructors,
        >
        > While making Harry's cross flow head here's a little tip that can help
        > position and hold all the pipes in the plate with a certain amount of
        > stiffness and rigidity before you start to solder your cooling pipes.
        >
        > Drill your holes in the plate as per the plan to suit the cooling
        > pipes sizes. Now with an oversize drill bit, counter sink the holes in
        > the plates being careful not to drill right through. Now position and
        > rigidly support the other bottom end of the cooling pipe (in preparation
        > for punching them). Keep the cooling pipe slightly proud of the plate
        > and with a big round countersink punch flare/swag the pipe end out on to
        > the countersink in the plate.
        >
        > This makes for a very tight slightly proud fit of the pipe in the
        > plate. The more firm you punch it the tighter the fit the better and
        > the stronger the solder joint will be. With the pipe being slightly
        > proud it will let's the solder pool and thicken around the pipe end
        > where it protrudes through on the plate.
        >
        > See diagram below
        >
        > Geoff
        >
        > [Crossflow Tip]

      • geoff
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
          Hi rosnekcaj,
               A countersink would certainly be a better tool for the job but not everyone has a countersink bit so I was going with something I thought everyone should have available in their toolbox.  There is a sketch under "Geoffs Pics" in the photos section
          Geoff
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
            Give Geoff the credit on this one - he just asked me to post it for him.

            JB.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...>
            wrote:

            > Hey Waldo and/or Geoff,
            >
            > This is a great and useful technique. Its what I used to hold the
            "water-cooled baffles" in my liebig (prior to soldering). These were 1/4
            crosstubes through the 1/2" pipe of the vapor path. While I thought it a
            bit of a pain at the time, subsequent experiments have shown the
            crosstube liebig to produce lots more cooling than a similar but longer
            non-baffled liebig.

            > Just another datum.
            >
            > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
          • Jan Ooms
            Message 5 of 9 , May 28, 2010
              Hi Mark,
              I looked at your pictures. You certainly have a impressive hobby setup.
              Can you email me on janooms10@... if possible.
              Best Regards,
              Jan.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 31, 2010

                Hi Jan,

                I appreciate your comments about my hobby setup.  It’s been a while since we last emailed.   Anyway,  How can I help you?

                Sorry for the late reply.

                Cheers

                Marc

                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: jkooms@...
                Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 13:02:47 +1000
                Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Crossflow Question

                Hi Mark,
                I looked at your pictures. You certainly have a impressive hobby setup.
                Can you email me on janooms10@yahoo. com if possible.
                Best Regards,
                Jan.

> [...]

                > I am not making a VM still at this time so I need to decide where I want to take the product from.
                >
                > In the photo's section under "Marc"s photos" I see where he is taking product from both sides of the condenser. Being that this condenser is very efficient would I lose a lot of product back down the column?
                > This would make for more reflux though.
                >
                > Also, would some foreshots and heads lay in the condenser and contaminate the hearts, being that each side of the condenser does not angle down to the column?
                >
                > My question, should I take the product from the condenser or from the plates in the column?

                Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK