Differences

  • JerryM
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
      I am a new distiller and for the past couple of months I have been making washes, fermenting and distilling. To date I have done 4 stripping runs and three spirit runs in a pot still.

      The stripping runs progressed nearly identically. I would get several liters of crystal clear product followed by a liter or so of cloudy product. I discontinued the stripping run when the ABV got down to 10 or less percent. I assume the cloudy product contained the upper alcohols and fusesl oils. I returned 100% of the product to the still for the spirit run.

      The spirit runs progressed nearly identically also. I diluted the product from the stripping run with an equal volume of distilled water. I discarded the first 50 ml of each 20 liter batch. I got about 1/2 the volume of the stripping run at about double the ABV. I collected the product in 1/2 liter batches. I discontinued the spirit run at 205 degress F which was about 10% or so ABV. In the spirit runs, I never got any product that was cloudy.

      Question: Why was there no cloudy product at the end of the spirit run? The upper alchols and fusesl oils should have still been present in the distillate.
    • Cartier2004
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
        Bascially all the crap that was in your original beer, left in the boiler at the end of your run is gone. Then you add water and all the fusel alcohols now get dilluted in new water. The water dillutes the higher alcohols and fusels.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cartier2004" <htcustom@...> wrote:

          > Bascially all the crap that was in your original beer, left in the boiler at the end of your run is gone. Then you add water and all the fusel alcohols now get dilluted in new water. The water dillutes the higher alcohols and fusels.
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JerryM" <jkmccull@> wrote:
          > Question: Why was there no cloudy product at the end of the spirit run? The upper alchols and fusesl oils should have still been present in the distillate.

          Research "hydroseparation" (sans quotes) in this group.

        • Jerry McCullough
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
            Thanks for the clue. Hydroseparation answered my question.

            Great help.