Malt Extract

  • JerryM
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2010
      I have 12 pounds of very dark malt extract (unhopped) syrup. I am looking for a use of the extract. Any suggestions?
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2010
        Jerry,

        Just use it to make a simple 6 or 7% hopless beer. Then distill it to get malt whisky. Couldn't be easier.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JerryM" <jkmccull@...> wrote:

        > I have 12 pounds of very dark malt extract (unhopped) syrup. I am looking for a use of the extract. Any suggestions?

      • Ric Cunningham
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2010
          Add to 5 gallons of water and ferment as you would any other wash.

          --
          Ric Cunningham
          Wilypig Brewing
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2010
            Hi Ric and Zymurgy Bob,
            I am now the owner of 2 bags of True Dark Malt in powder form. Can you advise me what to do with it. I am only a novice and my friends are only sugar wash distillers and don't know anything else.
            For a 25 litre batch, how much malt, water and yeast do I use.
            I will be forever grateful.
            Best Regards,
            Carl.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2010
              Carl
                        One pound of Dried malt extract in one gallon(3.8 liters) of water will give you a gravity of about 1.035-1.040. For a 25 liter batch of malt wash I would shoot for a starting gravity of 1.060. please forgive my primitive conversions. I generally think in imperial measurements but work often in metric.

              25 l = 6.6 gallons
              if you think in gravity points (60 gravity units x volume in gallons), then you will need 396 gravity points

              35 points per pound per gallon

              396 points divided by 35 points per pound = 11.3 pounds or 5.1 kg

              So for 25 liters you will need 5.1 kg of dried malt extract for the wash. I would ferment this with a standard ale yeast - dried yeast is fine. Turbo yeast will work but I don't have any experience with it. Let this ferment for 7 days and you are ready to go.

              you could convert the gravity points process to strictly metric and it is a great rule of thumb for formulating fermentations.

              some quick references for gravity points:
              table sugar - 46 points per pound
              honey - 40 points
              maple syrup - 40 points
              Dried malt extract 35 to 40 points
              liquid malt extract - 30 to 35 points

              Happy fermenting.

              On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Carl Bols <carlb282@...> wrote:

              Hi Ric and Zymurgy Bob,
              I am now the owner of 2 bags of True Dark Malt in powder form. Can you advise me what to do with it. I am only a novice and my friends are only sugar wash distillers and don't know anything else.
              For a 25 litre batch, how much malt, water and yeast do I use.
              I will be forever grateful.
              Best Regards,
              Carl.

              Add to 5 gallons of water and ferment as you would any other wash.

              On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@gmail. com> wrote:

              Jerry,

              Just use it to make a simple 6 or 7% hopless beer. Then distill it to get malt whisky. Couldn't be easier.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "JerryM" <jkmccull@...> wrote:

              > I have 12 pounds of very dark malt extract (unhopped) syrup. I am looking for a use of the extract. Any suggestions?

              --
              Ric Cunningham
              Wilypig Brewing
              "If you can make macaroni and cheese from a box, you can make great beer."
              Niagara Association of Homebrewers

              --
              Ric Cunningham
              Wilypig Brewing
              "If you can make macaroni and cheese from a box, you can make great beer."
              Niagara Association of Homebrewers
            • Jerry McCullough
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
                Thanks to all for the fabulous respinss to my malt extract question. I apperciate the support